Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1990 5.2L replace crankshaft bearings

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 09:22 PM
1990B150318
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1990 5.2L replace crankshaft bearings

Posted about this in my main thread, but wanted to start a new one just for this temporary issue.

I wanted to revisit doing the oil pump, rear main job here that I had an issue with before. In the meantime, I've learned that I can replace the crankshaft bearings while I have the oil pan off. Should I do that? What would be the benefit of doing so? When I look at the parts, there are different options. I can go with "standard sized", ".01 undersized" and ".02 undersized". Which do I need?

Will I be able to do all bearings or just some? Will I need 12 point sockets?
Also...

in doing this I'm going to cut away the exhaust cross member and repair/reattach it. I'll be using some clamps like this. I believe this approach will save LOTS of time and headache associated with detaching what would end up being most of the exhaust system.

If you have recommendations on exhaust pipe repair/replacement, would love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-21-2021, 10:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Don't know if you will need 12 point sockets.....

As for the bearings, how is your oil pressure? If pressure is good, so are the bearings. Probably wouldn't hurt to check a few of them though. You are going to have to drop the rear main bearing in any event, to change that seal, so, see what it looks like, and go from there.

As for which bearings...... unless you are going to pull the crank, and have it resized, stick with the stock size bearings. Use some plasti-gauge on 'em, to see how bad clearances are. (Do a search on it, should be a good video on youtube showing how to use/read it.)

As for exhaust..... Not sure what it looks like on the vans.... but, if those clamps are going to be bearing the weight of the exhaust, and holding it in place, I would not expect them to last long.... I much prefer welding, but, if you don't have a welder..... that makes it a tad difficult. If you have a torch, it makes getting rusty bolts and such off a LOT easier. Two people make it a breeze. (one to torch, the other to quickly remove bolts while they are glowing that pretty shade of red. )

Old 12-21-2021, 05:50 PM
1990B150318
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks I believe you covered it.

Yes oil pressure always on the low side, and never above 30psi.
I think sometimes I can hear bearing noise when the engine in cold. Sounds like a low rubbing growl as you accelerate. Goes away when warmed up.

Don't have the extra set of hands. At least, not those I'd feel like getting involved.

The clamps won't be load bearing. The crossmember has 3 points of support and I will be able to cut sections without removing support. One of the bolts snapped on the clamp that holds the CC to the pipe. I paused at that point.
Thanks again for the information.

Old 12-22-2021, 10:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Yeah, when working on exhaust, with parts you want to re-use, having a torch to convince bolts to come out easily is a godsend.....

The following users liked this post:
1990B150318 (12-22-2021)

Quick Reply: 1990 5.2L replace crankshaft bearings