Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Transmission questions. Fluid flush, bands,TC, solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 01:42 AM
97Dodgestationwagon
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission questions. Fluid flush, bands,TC, solenoids

I am aware i have a 46re in my 97 B3500. My question is. How hard is it to replace the torque converter, plus both bands and flush the fluid completely out? I had sliiping issues so i improperly ajusted the band because there was no torx bit bolt, it was a 4 point square. Anyways further on i discovered the root of the problem was not the band being too loose but my governor pressure solenoid was clogged with metal shavings...

Replacing this pressure solenoid allowed my van to shift mooth again and it was great untill the new solenoid got clogged with more metal shavings. So im thinking the frictionless bands are shaving the drum via metal on metal, resulting in metal shavings in my fluid. if i drop the trans and replace torque converter, how easy is it to replace the bands with new friction material? Will the new bands chew at the old drum? I feel like the other internal gears and stuff are all good, i just need a new band, torque converter and solenoid plus fluid flush and ill be shifting smooth again. How can i get all of the metal shavings out without breaking it down completely? Is there a flush i can do?

Old 03-04-2022, 06:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

I think you would be better of doing a complete teardown of the trans, and just rebuilding it. That will give you the opportunity to inspect the various parts, and figure out where your metal shavings are coming from. If the solenoid has been plugged up twice, then you can bet that there are metal shavings throughout the trans.... and that will cause you nothing but trouble. You are going to have to pull it anyway, to change the TC...... just rebuild it. Save yourself some time and money, but not having to do the job twice.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:43 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think you would be better of doing a complete teardown of the trans, and just rebuilding it. That will give you the opportunity to inspect the various parts, and figure out where your metal shavings are coming from. If the solenoid has been plugged up twice, then you can bet that there are metal shavings throughout the trans.... and that will cause you nothing but trouble. You are going to have to pull it anyway, to change the TC...... just rebuild it. Save yourself some time and money, but not having to do the job twice.
agreed metal in fluid is never good and usually its never just one thing, replace or rebuild is the only good choice

Old 03-04-2022, 07:50 PM
97Dodgestationwagon
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
As far as that gear pack goes do you think ill be good to skip that step? the one where it requires a shop press. i can do everything else i just dont have a shop press to remove that clutch pack of gears or whatever it is. i dont know exactly how to explain it. just trying to see what i am able to get away with. i also plan on installing a huge magnet on the bottom of trans pan to mass pull any shredded metal that circulates thru fluid. Is there anything else i need to know before dropping this transmission? would like to know if theres a guide on torque specs for re installing every bolt.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, there is a mondo spring in the O/D unit. Could you find someone local that has a press to remove/install it? My biggest fear would that you already have metal shavings throughout the O/D unit as well, and NOT cleaning it out would roach your fresh rebuild in fairly short order.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:16 AM
97Dodgestationwagon
Rookie

Do you know the best rebuild kit i can buy? i haul lots of flooring everyday and lots of trash. any recommendations on trans coolers? i want to set this thing up to last a long time.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

One of the viper kits on this page. Probably be a good idea to call them, make sure you get everything you need.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:48 AM
97Dodgestationwagon
Rookie

Okay, so when it comes to the first step of pulling that pump off. you know how you need 2 of those slide hammers to screw into the bolt holes, to be able to pull it out. where can i buy 2 of those slide hammers .

Old 03-06-2022, 12:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Parts store, harbor freight, Granger, etc. Pretty much any place that sells tools.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:40 PM
97Dodgestationwagon
Rookie

so today i was able to unbolt all of the exhaust, and dismount them from the rubber Hangers, only problem is even with both left side wheels removed the exhaust will not come out in one piece whole. is it a good idea to cut this pipe close to the muffler on back end, and then replace muffler? then when re installing it should i buy a clamp sleeve and clamp the 2 pipes back together where i cut them?

Quick Reply: Transmission questions. Fluid flush, bands,TC, solenoids