Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Dodge B250 Tranny(?) Problems in R and D

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 11:09 AM
Tdodge2004
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dodge B250 Tranny(?) Problems in R and D

Hey all,

Weird sounds coming from my 1990 B250, 318 with I believe an A500, and not sure where to look or what to diagnose. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and am at a loss of what to do next, looking for some expertise.
To make a short story long:
I did my intake manifold gaskets cause they're leaking bad, and did my timing chain and water pump. Upon starting up again I noticed a low growling sound when at low speed (sub 20km/hr) and no throttle, also occurring when idling in drive with brakes on. Growling / vibration much more prominent when cold. Once it warms up its damn near gone. Van runs great, can't see it being anything in the motor.
Went to a mechanic he said he doesn't think its a problem, took it to a tranny shop for a second opinion, he said tranny shifts good runs good and fluid is in good shape, didn't think its a tranny problem - listened to the oil pan and **** was wild in there so he figured oil pickup could be plugged/pumps F'ed up a bit. Did my oil pump and cleaned my strainer which was dirty af. No dice.
I think it's gotta be in the tranny, makes noise in D and R when cold and when idling in D with brakes on it'll be like it stalls a bit then RPM comes back tiny little stall then back - not consistently or in a pattern just kinda dies a little bit and fires itself back up. Has no issues idling in neutral. In Drive; give it some throttle and it runs fun, noise goes away, high speed no problems. Something up with Low gear/Reverse?
I'll note that the growling did exist to some extent prior to tuning up, but now its cranked up a notch. Also I've done the U joints.

I'm spent doing work on this thing, but am leaving on a long journey in a weeks time. My next move is throw in a tranny filter and gasket, maybe adjust a band - never adjusted bands before - after that I don't know what I can do with the thing.
Looking for the forums' infinite wisdom. Thanks.

Last edited by Tdodge2004; 05-04-2022 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Did U joints
The following users liked this post:
Mrtallboyy63 (05-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Dodge B250 Tranny(?) Problems in R and D