Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2001 Dodge B3500 van mystery battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 01:19 AM
jimneill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Busted Nuckles
Send us a pic of your meter set where you are testing. Something doesnt sound right. Do you have another meter?
I've used both meter settings...meter in series on battery...always get 00 reading ????? Meter is new.....got it just for this test.....only one I have

Old 08-24-2022, 06:55 AM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks right to me. Did you verify your test procedure by measuring amps with a definite draw on the battery, say by opening the door and the dome lights come on? New but defective battery off the shelf?

Old 08-24-2022, 08:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Somethin' ain't right, as even with everything off, there is still a small draw on the system to maintain computer memory.....

Old 08-24-2022, 11:45 AM
jimneill

Originally Posted by Busted Nuckles
Looks right to me. Did you verify your test procedure by measuring amps with a definite draw on the battery, say by opening the door and the dome lights come on? New but defective battery off the shelf?
Battery connected (POS and NEG) , dome light ON. Disconnect NEG cable. dome light OFF. Do parasitic test and still 00 meter read.
Reads zero drain with dome light in ON position. ??? Service tech installed the new battery and checked charging system/alternator...all checks OK they said.
Van starts and runs OK and does charge battery when running. Battery drains when van OFF. Voltage down to about 8 volts over about 2-3 days. How to check if new battery is bad? What are chances its bad multimeter (brand new)....it works when checking DC voltage and AC systems.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:54 PM
BlockHeadGearBender
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blown fuse on the multi-meter?
ETA: You absolutely can measure the current draw on the battery NEG terminal. I get about 42mA. Dome lights on draw is about 5.8A.

Last edited by BlockHeadGearBender; 08-24-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:42 PM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The circuit in your meter for amps is not working, it must be fixed first before you can troubleshoot the van . The only other thing you can do is start swapping parts , say try another battery. I doubt it is the battery but I have been wrong before. All it takes to blow the meter is to hook it up to the positive and negative battery terminals once and it will cook the amp setting on the meter. The meter can still function on the AC and DC settings for volts while the amp circuit is fried. If you have a battery charger, charge itup and have an auto parts store load test it. You may be able to remove the battery and check each side of each fuse terminal with an OHM Meter and find the circuit that has contunity to ground. I also mentioned earlier to disconnect the alternator wire and see if the battery does not drain.

See here

Old 08-24-2022, 10:29 PM
ian94b250
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all else fails, a battery disconnect switch can be installed from your negative terminal right next to your battery under the hood. I actually bored out a hole on one of my friends bumpers and installed one so they could quickly put it on and off cuz they're battery was dying all the time and they refused to get it properly worked on. 🤷‍♂️

Old 08-25-2022, 09:00 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jimneill
Reads zero drain with dome light in ON position. ??? Service tech installed the new battery and checked charging system/alternator...all checks
Did you move the red meter lead over to the 10A port and turn the dial to the 10A position while the meter leads were hooked up in series between one of the battery terminals and it's battery cable?

Last edited by alloro; 08-25-2022 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:06 PM
jimneill

Originally Posted by alloro
Did you move the red meter lead over to the 10A port and turn the dial to the 10A position while the meter leads were hooked up in series between one of the battery terminals and it's battery cable?
Yup...

Old 08-25-2022, 06:10 PM
jimneill

I 'm already using a battery disconnect switch...easy to do a parasitic test. Thanks

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge B3500 van mystery battery drain