Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Weird electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 12:25 PM
gabrock
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Weird electrical issues

My 2002 Dodge Ram 3500 van with the 318 ci that I'm rehabbing is showing some weird electrical issues. The voltage meter dropped to zero and the check engine light came on. I parked it, disconnected for a reset, cleaned all connections to the PCM, and it hasn't done it since. But this morning the electric windows and signal light weren't working. Parked it, shut if off, left it for a coupel of minutes, started, and everything worked fine. Also, it recently started "searching" for the right RPM when it's first starated, until it settles into the proper low idle for our current summer temperatures. What's up? I'm thinking PCM? If it is, I'm thinking pull and send away for rebuilding? There are a few companies on the Net that do it and wondering if anyone has had experience with that route. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Might be the ignition switch as well.....

Old 09-04-2022, 11:21 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Might be the ignition switch as well.....
Yes..my windows and I think signals did the same thing when it went bad.

I remember the windows definitely doing that.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:30 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by gabrock
My 2002 Dodge Ram 3500 van with the 318 ci that I'm rehabbing is showing some weird electrical issues. The voltage meter dropped to zero and the check engine light came on. I parked it, disconnected for a reset, cleaned all connections to the PCM, and it hasn't done it since. But this morning the electric windows and signal light weren't working. Parked it, shut if off, left it for a coupel of minutes, started, and everything worked fine. Also, it recently started "searching" for the right RPM when it's first starated, until it settles into the proper low idle for our current summer temperatures. What's up? I'm thinking PCM? If it is, I'm thinking pull and send away for rebuilding? There are a few companies on the Net that do it and wondering if anyone has had experience with that route. Thanks.

It could be your ignition switch (not your key lock cylinder by the steering wheel) or a problem with a ground. Be sure to check both ends of the ground cables. The frame end can be rotten while the part at the battery can look good. There should also be one or two grounds from the firewall to the engine.

The following users liked this post:
ElkCon (09-05-2022)

Quick Reply: Weird electrical issues