Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Cutting access in the floor to replace fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 07:46 PM
Dodge_USA_Dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this and didn’t drop the tank. No fires, no explosions. Just drive it till is has little gas and do the job. Obviously if you smell a lot of gas and stuff don’t do it, but you should be ok.

My issue is sealing it back up. I tried twice with different materials and stuff, but I still get a gas smell when I fill her up.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Old 12-03-2022, 09:17 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge_USA_Dude
I did this and didn’t drop the tank. No fires, no explosions. Just drive it till is has little gas and do the job.
FYI it is gas vapors that are ignitable not liquid gasoline. It would actually be safer to cut the floor with a full tank rather than an empty one. Of course if you're dropping the tank this still applies, but you have to also consider the additional weight and spill factors of a full tank.

Old 12-15-2022, 09:06 PM
nikkimerc13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcdarks
I have a 1995 B3500 van with a 36 gallon gas tank. It's a real PITA to replace the fuel pump. My idea is to loosen the straps enough that the tank lowers enough to slide a piece of plate steel between the floor and the tank and then cut a hole in the floor with an angle grinder to access it. I would then add metal to put the patch back in and screw the cutout floor back on. Has anyone tried this? It would have been nice if Dodge would have done this.
yes I have done exactly what you describe... it will make your life much much easier

Quick Reply: Cutting access in the floor to replace fuel pump