Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Cutting access in the floor to replace fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 02:48 PM
pcdarks
Amateur
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cutting access in the floor to replace fuel pump

I have a 1995 B3500 van with a 36 gallon gas tank. It's a real PITA to replace the fuel pump. My idea is to loosen the straps enough that the tank lowers enough to slide a piece of plate steel between the floor and the tank and then cut a hole in the floor with an angle grinder to access it. I would then add metal to put the patch back in and screw the cutout floor back on. Has anyone tried this? It would have been nice if Dodge would have done this.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,263 Likes on 3,010 Posts

If you are going to loosen the tank straps anyway, seems to me it would be easiest just to drop the tank.... after all, it's not like this is something you are going to need to do more than once......

Old 11-02-2022, 04:18 PM
pcdarks
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you are going to loosen the tank straps anyway, seems to me it would be easiest just to drop the tank.... after all, it's not like this is something you are going to need to do more than once......
I'm going to have this a very long time as it is a retro Sportsmobile conversion.

Also I replaced it last year and it was a royal PITA. When I was finished I road tested it and it runs out of gas with 4 gallons left in the tank. I travel to very remote areas and need all of the gas in the tank at times. Next spring I'm going to pull it and replace it as it is still under warranty. I want this time to be easier. (if you had ever done one you would know how bad it is to do.)

Old 11-02-2022, 04:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The trick is, don't cheap out on the fuel pump. Put an airtex pump in there, and yeah, you will be changing it regularly. You want a delphi, or denso pump. Yep, more expensive, but, change it once, and you are done. They will last another 150,000 miles.....

As for the last few gallons in the tank, that is unavoidable. The pump simply can't get it all. Carry a spare 5 gallon can or two.

Old 11-02-2022, 05:45 PM
pcdarks
Amateur

The trick is, don't cheap out on the fuel pump. Put an airtex pump in there, and yeah, you will be changing it regularly. You want a delphi, or denso pump. Yep, more expensive, but, change it once, and you are done. They will last another 150,000 miles.....

As for the last few gallons in the tank, that is unavoidable. The pump simply can't get it all. Carry a spare 5 gallon can or two.

I didn't "cheap out" Maybe I should have.As for carrying cans I don't subscribe to the attitude of "Aw hell that's good enough" Can anyone out there actually answer the question?

Old 11-03-2022, 05:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You aren't going to get anything that will drain the tank completely dry. Unless, of course, you completely change the fuel system, and install a tank that has a baffled sump, and then use an external pump that draws from there.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:45 PM
pcdarks
Amateur

You aren't going to get anything that will drain the tank completely dry. Unless, of course, you completely change the fuel system, and install a tank that has a baffled sump, and then use an external pump that draws from there.
Says you. The last pump drained the tank much further. Can you answer the original question or not???

Old 11-03-2022, 08:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sure, fine. Whatever you say.......

Easiest way is to run the tank as empty as you dare, and drop it out the normal way. Blowing holes in your floor just isn't a good idea. Having a second warm body to help you makes the job even easier. Since it was out recently, the bolts shouldn't be all rusted up.

What brand pump did you put in the first time??

Old 11-04-2022, 01:47 PM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree with Hey You, by the time you remove the interior floor coverings, cut the hole and patch back, I would think its just easier to drop the tank. You already have it lowered putting a plate above the cut. Im sure it has been done before but its not the method I would personally do.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:27 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by pcdarks
I have a 1995 B3500 van with a 36 gallon gas tank. It's a real PITA to replace the fuel pump. My idea is to loosen the straps enough that the tank lowers enough to slide a piece of plate steel between the floor and the tank and then cut a hole in the floor with an angle grinder to access it. I would then add metal to put the patch back in and screw the cutout floor back on. Has anyone tried this? It would have been nice if Dodge would have done this.
He does a lot of yapping and I wish he gave actual measurements, but maybe this will help you a bit.

The following users liked this post:
space shuttle vango (12-16-2022)

Quick Reply: Cutting access in the floor to replace fuel pump