Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Van 1500 5.2l engine swap won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 09:54 PM
Cehernandez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Van 1500 5.2l engine swap won’t start

I just finished my swap, just needed a new engine. I got the whole No Bus thing. That was a ‘fun’ time. I fixed it. The Cranshaft Sensor Shorted, I ended up just wiring it all together. Now have spark, ended up shooting air/gas out the throttle body. So I believe my timing is a little off. I need help setting proper timing. Before I put the engine in I thought I had put the disturber gear in the right position, aim to the first cylinder while it was at TDC. Clearly I miss understood what TDC looked like. I set it to what I thought was the intake valve just closing. Help me please. If I don’t get this van started by Saturday I’m going to have to get rid of my van. Thank you so much for taking the time to read.

Old 11-25-2022, 07:50 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

Would help to know what year! The magnums engines the timing is controlled by the pcm but you do need to adjust the fuel sync.

Old 11-25-2022, 07:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,263 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Turn the engine so that number 1 (drivers side, front cylinder) is at the top of the compression stroke. Take off the distributor cap, the rotor should be pointing at the 'notch' in the distributor body, basically toward cylinder 2. (number 1 is also generally labeled on the cap itself.) That should get it close enough to fire. You will need a scanner to properly set fuel sync though.

Quick Reply: Van 1500 5.2l engine swap won’t start