Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Camper Van information

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 06:16 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Salsapants
Ok cool! I planned on checking the height just to be safe. I will want to go and research stuff on how to place some solar panels for small battery operated things inside. I just really think for me, taking out the bathroom stuff will go a long way, and maybe help with some weight reduction, because I'm gonna need all the help I can to get some decent gas mileage!

If you have the large top hamper like mine did, look for low teens, if you're lucky. You will be punching a huge hole in the air. On the other hand, I'm 6 foot and I could stand up inside really easy.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:26 PM
Salsapants
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
If you have the large top hamper like mine did, look for low teens, if you're lucky. You will be punching a huge hole in the air. On the other hand, I'm 6 foot and I could stand up inside really easy.

Here's some pics of the outside.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:55 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Here's some pics of the outside.

Yep, that's a Coachmen conversion. They used base vans from Dodge, Chevy/GMC and Ford. It looks just like the pictures that were in the sales brochure that was with my unit. I never slept over the drivers station as I'm a little old to be climbing up there. The front seats, at least on mine, would swivel to face each other. That and some wood made it perfect for e 5 year old. Definitely check the front end and replace anything worn as cross winds will get extremely exciting.The black and grey water tanks are connected. Loose those but keep the blue water tank. They kind of a stinker to fuel the propane up but all in all, long trips and napping along the way as well as going camping. On a hot and muggy summer night, that a/c will keep it cool enough to have moisture condensing on the outside.

I'll bet your unit height is 9'2. I used mailbox numbers to put 9'6 over the windshield. That gives a margin or error if someone else works on it and drives it. By the way, when it's converted to a Class B, it is your unit or rig. If you pull a trailer or a car on a tow dolly, that is your Toad.

Old 01-19-2023, 09:00 PM
Salsapants
Amateur

Yep, that's a Coachmen conversion. They used base vans from Dodge, Chevy/GMC and Ford. It looks just like the pictures that were in the sales brochure that was with my unit. I never slept over the drivers station as I'm a little old to be climbing up there. The front seats, at least on mine, would swivel to face each other. That and some wood made it perfect for e 5 year old. Definitely check the front end and replace anything worn as cross winds will get extremely exciting.The black and grey water tanks are connected. Loose those but keep the blue water tank. They kind of a stinker to fuel the propane up but all in all, long trips and napping along the way as well as going camping. On a hot and muggy summer night, that a/c will keep it cool enough to have moisture condensing on the outside.

I'll bet your unit height is 9'2. I used mailbox numbers to put 9'6 over the windshield. That gives a margin or error if someone else works on it and drives it. By the way, when it's converted to a Class B, it is your unit or rig. If you pull a trailer or a car on a tow dolly, that is your Toad.
Awesome! I appreciate all the information! Im just hoping that it all goes well and I end up driving it home. I hadn't noticed it there before, and I go by there every week, so Im positive it runs and drives. That's really my biggest concern. Anything else, I can take my time and do by myself. I also have some family members that are pretty well versed in certain areas when it comes to working on cars and stuff.

Old 01-20-2023, 11:59 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Awesome! I appreciate all the information! Im just hoping that it all goes well and I end up driving it home. I hadn't noticed it there before, and I go by there every week, so Im positive it runs and drives. That's really my biggest concern. Anything else, I can take my time and do by myself. I also have some family members that are pretty well versed in certain areas when it comes to working on cars and stuff.

The body, on the lower section as well as the mechanics are pretty much stock. Usually a 3/4 ton. The van went to the conversion company with basic paint and one drivers seat. Otherwise pretty much a bare shell. The interior was custom built to one f 3 or 4 designs and the top was cut so the fiberglass shell could be installed. Look at the fender emblems and I'll bet it's a D250. Heavier suspension but not a floating axle like a 1 ton. That's the best mix for handling and ride. There are some differences in parts for a 1/2 and 3/4 tone.

Old 01-20-2023, 01:34 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

major difference in a 1/2 and 3/4 van

Old 01-20-2023, 06:49 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by nibroc
major difference in a 1/2 and 3/4 van

You're right. I forgot we were talking about a Dodge unit. My GMC had the light duty semi-floating axles. Chevy and GMC 2500 series are light and HD versions. I think Furds have a floating rear only on 3/4 tons too.

Old 01-20-2023, 08:48 PM
Salsapants
Amateur

The body, on the lower section as well as the mechanics are pretty much stock. Usually a 3/4 ton. The van went to the conversion company with basic paint and one drivers seat. Otherwise pretty much a bare shell. The interior was custom built to one f 3 or 4 designs and the top was cut so the fiberglass shell could be installed. Look at the fender emblems and I'll bet it's a D250. Heavier suspension but not a floating axle like a 1 ton. That's the best mix for handling and ride. There are some differences in parts for a 1/2 and 3/4 tone.
Fender emblems are a 350

Old 01-20-2023, 09:01 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Fender emblems are a 350

You have a 1 ton base. Pop the wheel covers off and you'll see 8 lug wheels. The Falcon was a longer wheel base than what I had. Do the furnace and stove work? The propane tank is under the drivers side just behind the wheel. I can just make out the fill valve cover in the photo.

Old 01-20-2023, 09:59 PM
Salsapants
Amateur

You have a 1 ton base. Pop the wheel covers off and you'll see 8 lug wheels. The Falcon was a longer wheel base than what I had. Do the furnace and stove work? The propane tank is under the drivers side just behind the wheel. I can just make out the fill valve cover in the photo.
I didn't check if they worked. I saw the panel where the tank is, but it was locked. I was at a customers place while working, when I saw the van. I figured id ask him what was going on with it, and he informed me it was a friend of the familys. I asked if he was considering selling it, and he called the guy up right there and the owner said sure. I plan on going back next week when I get out there and the owner should be there to show me that it runs.

Quick Reply: Camper Van information