Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Camper Van information

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 09:45 PM
Salsapants
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camper Van information

Hello,

New to the forum, but Im trying to find some information. I came across a Dodge B350 Falcon converion van that I might be buying some time in the near future. My only issue is that I can't seem to find much about it. It looks like it is post 1986, but other than that, I'm stumped. It seems to be in decent condition. I was wanting to know if anyone had any knowledge of these, and if so, what might be some things I should look out for before purchasing? Also, what size motor did this come with?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 01-18-2023, 09:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,256 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Well, apparently, the made them from 85 to 95.... Getting the vin would tell you a lot about it. Year built, and engine..

Old 01-18-2023, 09:42 AM
Salsapants
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Well, apparently, the made them from 85 to 95.... Getting the vin would tell you a lot about it. Year built, and engine..
Yeah, it was a spur of the moment thing. I'm planning on seeing if I can swing by later today to get some more pics and info.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Post 'em up here. We'll see what we can come up with.

Old 01-18-2023, 01:35 PM
Salsapants
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Post 'em up here. We'll see what we can come up with.
Stopped by and got some pics. It's an 86, 5.9 liter (goodbye gas mileage!), and is at 59k miles. I'm almost positive that it hasn't rolled over because it's clean.

Old 01-18-2023, 06:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Since it's a camper, probably not their daily driver. And yeah, the 5.9 isn't know for a its fuel efficiency. If you get 12 to 13 on the highway, I would be impressed.....

Old 01-18-2023, 06:58 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Salsapants
Hello,

New to the forum, but Im trying to find some information. I came across a Dodge B350 Falcon converion van that I might be buying some time in the near future. My only issue is that I can't seem to find much about it. It looks like it is post 1986, but other than that, I'm stumped. It seems to be in decent condition. I was wanting to know if anyone had any knowledge of these, and if so, what might be some things I should look out for before purchasing? Also, what size motor did this come with?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I had a Class B camper based on a GMC van years ago.Amazing how much they packed into such a small vehicle.I don't remember which one I had but I think I had a different version.

The company that built it was called Coachman but several companies have used that name with it being sold or taken over. It wasn't a Falcon but I remember in the brochures from when it was new there was one version called the Falcon. For one or two people, it was just fine. My black and grey tanks leaked, the shower was 4 feet tall with a hole in the bottom, but the rest of it was in good shape and the roof unit a/c would freeze you out.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 01-18-2023 at 07:00 PM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn
Old 01-18-2023, 09:08 PM
Salsapants
Amateur

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I had a Class B camper based on a GMC van years ago.Amazing how much they packed into such a small vehicle.I don't remember which one I had but I think I had a different version.

The company that built it was called Coachman but several companies have used that name with it being sold or taken over. It wasn't a Falcon but I remember in the brochures from when it was new there was one version called the Falcon. For one or two people, it was just fine. My black and grey tanks leaked, the shower was 4 feet tall with a hole in the bottom, but the rest of it was in good shape and the roof unit a/c would freeze you out.
If I do end up purchasing it, I think I would remove the toilet and shower in the rear of it. I just don't see myself using it in. Main use would be road trips to see family, so I could stop at restaraunts and rest stops. Otherwise, the seats were suuuuuper comfy, and it looked to be really well maintained.

Old 01-18-2023, 09:29 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Salsapants
If I do end up purchasing it, I think I would remove the toilet and shower in the rear of it. I just don't see myself using it in. Main use would be road trips to see family, so I could stop at restaraunts and rest stops. Otherwise, the seats were suuuuuper comfy, and it looked to be really well maintained.

I had planned to pull the shower and toilet, the black and grey water tanks and put a small tank for grey water if I wanted to wash my hands or suck. I was going to put another, larger fuel tank in place of the black tank. This would free up substantial space inside. It was well insulated and I never used the furnace but one or two times. Usually a milk house heater kept it comfortable. The roof a/c got too cold before I figured out the settings to use. On a couple of really long trips (over 1000 miles at least)I'd drive until I got tired. Stop at a rest stop most states have near the border and catch a little nap in back. The house batteries would operate the lights fine. You could use the bathroom at rest stops or restaurants. I think my longest trip was around 2500 miles.

One thing to watch out for is clearance. The height on mine was 9'2. I put 9'6 over the windshield to keep somebody from going under too low a beam or roof. I had heard of a small Class C that would have been perfect and sold my rig to a guy who worked long stretches in the woods. He had a bath room and shower but very cramped living quarters so he bought it to sleep in. By the time I got to the dealer with the Class C, it was sold.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:50 AM
Salsapants
Amateur

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I had planned to pull the shower and toilet, the black and grey water tanks and put a small tank for grey water if I wanted to wash my hands or suck. I was going to put another, larger fuel tank in place of the black tank. This would free up substantial space inside. It was well insulated and I never used the furnace but one or two times. Usually a milk house heater kept it comfortable. The roof a/c got too cold before I figured out the settings to use. On a couple of really long trips (over 1000 miles at least)I'd drive until I got tired. Stop at a rest stop most states have near the border and catch a little nap in back. The house batteries would operate the lights fine. You could use the bathroom at rest stops or restaurants. I think my longest trip was around 2500 miles.

One thing to watch out for is clearance. The height on mine was 9'2. I put 9'6 over the windshield to keep somebody from going under too low a beam or roof. I had heard of a small Class C that would have been perfect and sold my rig to a guy who worked long stretches in the woods. He had a bath room and shower but very cramped living quarters so he bought it to sleep in. By the time I got to the dealer with the Class C, it was sold.
Ok cool! I planned on checking the height just to be safe. I will want to go and research stuff on how to place some solar panels for small battery operated things inside. I just really think for me, taking out the bathroom stuff will go a long way, and maybe help with some weight reduction, because I'm gonna need all the help I can to get some decent gas mileage!

Quick Reply: Camper Van information