Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Front Mount Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2023, 06:15 PM
Tari
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Mount Hitch

Hello,

I have an RV built on a 1997 Dodge Ram Van 3500. I would like to add a front mounted hitch for an Ebike carrier. I have been unable to locate a hitch specifically for my van although I have found front mount hitches for 1997 Dodge Ram Trucks. Are they interchangeable? If not, would there be a lot of fabrication necessary? I do not know how similar or different the chassis's are.

Old 08-27-2023, 09:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

I believe the van is unibody, trucks have full frame, so truck hitch won't work on the van. They might make some thing that mounts to the bumper though.... Worth a look at any rate.

Old 08-27-2023, 12:42 PM
Tari
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I believe the van is unibody, trucks have full frame, so truck hitch won't work on the van. They might make some thing that mounts to the bumper though.... Worth a look at any rate.
Thank you, I will explore that option.

Old 08-27-2023, 09:19 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Tari
Hello,

I have an RV built on a 1997 Dodge Ram Van 3500. I would like to add a front mounted hitch for an Ebike carrier. I have been unable to locate a hitch specifically for my van although I have found front mount hitches for 1997 Dodge Ram Trucks. Are they interchangeable? If not, would there be a lot of fabrication necessary? I do not know how similar or different the chassis's are.

You want to add a Class III receiver to the front. I had a 2000 Jeep XJ Cherokee a while back. Warn made a Transformer system where you could pick and choose options. I built a grill guard (I had a Deer bounce off it once) and also added the hitch receiver. I used it to move trailers around. Much easier than backing them up. You can get the tube for the hitch at different places.

Thinking about it (now my head hurts!) if it were me, I'd have a welder make me a custom front bumper. About a 6 inch wide flat plate on the top so you can stand on it to work on the engine or clean the RV and have he tube welded underneath. You can then get a Class III bike carrier. The extra width of the bumper will allow a little more air to flow around it into the radiator.

Quick Reply: Front Mount Hitch