Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

horn connector where airbag is

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 07:52 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default horn connector where airbag is

Hi all...

I should have taken pictures of it...but how does the horn work up where the airbag is...

What I did was replace the turn signal switch...so I had to take everything out from behind the steering wheel...and the wheel itself..

I cannot remember how the horn is supposed to hook up...I have looked everywhere on the airbag where a (I think) a harness for the horn supposed to connect into the two wire little connector next to the cruise control connectors...but I cannot find or figure out how the horn is supposed to connect? I took the airbag apart and there is no wires for the horn...I could have sworn there was...or is that one wire the horn wire?
What am I missing? Please help...I just got done replacing hoses, the alternator, the thermostat, housing and then I went on to the turn signal and this is the only issue I had all day...I just cannot remember what or how it works...The horn did work and has always worked...I took off the wheel and now I cannot figure out how to make it work again...

Thanks!

EDIT--OK after digging through the service manual...the larger wire that comes out with the CC wires is the horn wire...the horn wont work...grrrrrrrrr

any ideas....I guess Ill be going through the 40 step process the service manual has tomorrow...any thoughts on this - please post

Last edited by ElkCon; 09-28-2023 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2023, 11:25 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by ElkCon
Hi all...

I should have taken pictures of it...but how does the horn work up where the airbag is...

What I did was replace the turn signal switch...so I had to take everything out from behind the steering wheel...and the wheel itself..

I cannot remember how the horn is supposed to hook up...I have looked everywhere on the airbag where a (I think) a harness for the horn supposed to connect into the two wire little connector next to the cruise control connectors...but I cannot find or figure out how the horn is supposed to connect? I took the airbag apart and there is no wires for the horn...I could have sworn there was...or is that one wire the horn wire?
What am I missing? Please help...I just got done replacing hoses, the alternator, the thermostat, housing and then I went on to the turn signal and this is the only issue I had all day...I just cannot remember what or how it works...The horn did work and has always worked...I took off the wheel and now I cannot figure out how to make it work again...

Thanks!

EDIT--OK after digging through the service manual...the larger wire that comes out with the CC wires is the horn wire...the horn wont work...grrrrrrrrr

any ideas....I guess Ill be going through the 40 step process the service manual has tomorrow...any thoughts on this - please post

It's been a while since I removed an airbag, but the connector for it is usually yellow and unique. The horn should have a single wire that plugs into air bag connector. What year is your van?

Old 09-29-2023, 08:19 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Did you happen to blow the horn fuse?

Old 10-04-2023, 12:00 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
Did you happen to blow the horn fuse?
I thought I did...Ive been out but I wanted to update the thread...

So, what I did was I somehow crushed the internal parts of the three wire combination harness that connects into the clock spring. (the horns' ground wire runs through there)

I couldnt see in there until I looked really close (and it was getting dark when I posed this). So, consequently, I started to f--- with it and it fell apart. I guess that is what happens when you have the steeringwheel in the Florida sun for 20+ years.

So I started to see if there were any junkyards around that had a van. There was one at the 'local' one but it wheel was gone after talking to them.

After doing some research, the 02-04 Dakota used the same wiring harness in the wheel as my 02(03) van. I went to the yard and they had two with the steering wheels. Sure enough, I started to take an 02 apart and it is the same harness. Good info for you all if you ever run into this issue

Thank you all for the replies.

The following users liked this post:
alloro (10-05-2023)

Quick Reply: horn connector where airbag is