Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2001 3500, no bus code and fuel pump won’t shut off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 04:36 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by KiloAlpha
the weird thing to me is the fact that the fuel pump won’t stop running when the key is on.
I suppose with the pump not stopping, the fuel system could be over pressurizing and flooding the cylinders every time an injector opens up.

Old 01-19-2024, 06:03 PM
KiloAlpha
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alloro
I suppose with the pump not stopping, the fuel system could be over pressurizing and flooding the cylinders every time an injector opens up.
Yeah, I was kinda thinking that. I’m not sure why the fuel pump won’t shut off, I’m hoping I don’t need a pcm.

Old 01-20-2024, 09:05 PM
KiloAlpha

So I jumped into the van today and it started right up, the no bus code isn’t there anymore. I drove down to o Reilly and had them code read it and there weren’t any codes.

Old 01-22-2024, 12:20 PM
KiloAlpha

My van sat for a day and a half since my last post. I got in and started it this morning and it fired right up. I moved it into the back yard where my garage is. I was going to let it warm up so that I could change the oil. I went into the house to get a cup of coffee and came back out about 15 minutes later to find that it had died and was showing no bus again. I checked the coil wire on the distributor and it looks like it’s getting spark just fine. I also pulled a spark plug and it was not wet with fuel. When I leave the key on the fuel pump still runs nonstop but it’s kinda skipping. I’m wondering if the fuel pump isn’t able to build pressure. But it also seems like maybe a pcm issue since the fuel pump runs weird and I have the no bus code.

Old 01-22-2024, 02:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,379 Likes on 3,119 Posts

Yeah, somethin' ain't right there. The fuel pump should prime for a few seconds at initial key on, and then shut off.... if it is NOT doing that, need to find out why.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:04 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by KiloAlpha
My van sat for a day and a half since my last post. I got in and started it this morning and it fired right up. I moved it into the back yard where my garage is. I was going to let it warm up so that I could change the oil. I went into the house to get a cup of coffee and came back out about 15 minutes later to find that it had died and was showing no bus again. I checked the coil wire on the distributor and it looks like it’s getting spark just fine. I also pulled a spark plug and it was not wet with fuel. When I leave the key on the fuel pump still runs nonstop but it’s kinda skipping. I’m wondering if the fuel pump isn’t able to build pressure. But it also seems like maybe a pcm issue since the fuel pump runs weird and I have the no bus code.
Might be time for a new PCM. The persistent No Bus message means a loss of communication between the digital portion of the cluster and the PCM. A failing PCM would also explain the dying/no start issue.

Old 06-23-2024, 02:27 PM
KiloAlpha
Default Solved!

So I went through fs one for a new pcm. The first one they sent me solved the issues I was having. However, it wouldn’t let the transmission shift any higher than 1st gear. So I sent it back and they shipped a new one. I put it in yesterday and the van seems to be just fine.

The following users liked this post:
1998DodgeRamVanCamper (07-01-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 03:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,379 Likes on 3,119 Posts

Awesome.

Quick Reply: 2001 3500, no bus code and fuel pump won’t shut off.