Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Rain water in footwells

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 12:29 AM
ColtVanDoo
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rain water in footwells

Hey all.

I've been trying to figure this one out for a while and even recently replaced broken wiper cowl (the tabs on each end were busted off), hoping that would fix it. Ive looked all over for all potential drains and blew them our with air. The darker areas are water. (more explanation and details with photos below these photos)

These little pockets on the side of each footwell and just in front of the door hinges the door are damp as well so def rain water getting in here as well.

The weirdest thing to me is that it looks as though there is a factory water channel that leads into the van just below these pockets. (photo below)

The deck inside the engine bay below the windsheild and behind the wiper cowl seems to collect the water that runs off the windsheild, slopes to the sides of the deck, and the water runs into a 6"x4"~ or so hole (this im sure is what is collecting water and feeding it inside) so im sure this is where most of the water comes from. It just seems that once it gets in there its not flowing properly (why would they design it to flow inside the cab?)
I blew out this little drain just above the bumper in that gap but that didnt help.

Old 02-07-2024, 12:33 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

In the picture you mention a factory water channel, but it looks like you have a chunk of the sealer missing in that area. Seal that area back up and it may fix the issue.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:04 PM
ColtVanDoo
Amateur

ill certainly give it a try but im worried that sealing it up will just create a puddle in that channel with nowhere to escape. Also the majority of the water appears to trickle in near the firewall around near where the ebrake cable goes through (but not exactly at the point)

Old 02-07-2024, 03:36 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional

Can't tell from the picture, but what is on the other side of where that sealant is gone?

Old 02-07-2024, 06:49 PM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Get the garden hose out and a set of eyes inside with a flashlight. Start low under the hood and with patience, slowly spray working your way up and you will find the leak. I just went through the same thing on a 2013 GMC pickup after finding a wet drivers carpet. Mine ended up being a cowl drain stopped up with oak tree leaves. They slide in there. Im not sure your van is constructed the same but the method should still apply.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:43 PM
ColtVanDoo
Amateur

Hey, yeah thats what im talking about, its literally a hole onto that well on the side of the footwell. Looks as though its a very intentional drain.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:44 PM
ColtVanDoo
Amateur

Originally Posted by jeffersonracing
Can't tell from the picture, but what is on the other side of where that sealant is gone?
Yeah thats what i was talking about it looks like a very intention drain hole from that well. It goes straight through there.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:47 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional

But why would that drain water into the inside of the vehicle? It has to be sealed by the missing sealer to keep the water out.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:50 PM
ColtVanDoo
Amateur

Hey everyone so I believe I have found where the leak is coming in from and it is a doozy.

So the drain runs along the hood, into the engine bay, behind the battery tray and along this seem where the fender panel mates with the firewall panel. Looks like water runs along this seem and gets inside. From the inside you can see the trickle is right near where the ebrake cable goes through the firewall so I took a picture of that area and sure enough there is water running in between these panels.

This is a real pain because Its going to be real tricky to caulk that up from the outside (especially on the passenger side because the AC unit blocks everything). I guess my only real option is to caulk the crap out of it from the inside but im very skeptical how well that will work.

Here is the trail of water:

Here is where it goes underneath the battery tray

Old 02-09-2024, 01:03 AM
ColtVanDoo
Amateur

Wanted to follow up with some more info as I've been at this for a couple hours now. See my last reply for how I believe water is getting in however these wells on either side near the door hinge is a weird little spectacle. Water definitely gets into these and much of the water is supposed to drain our of them through a series of drains in the fender to the outside as well as a drain in the door hinge area seen by this orange weed Wacker wire. However there is a drain into the cab. I'm convinced this is intentional. From this small drain hole which exists on both passenger and driver side, there is a very small channel in the sheet metal that seems to attempt to route it down to the foot step. This hole had been intentionally sealed which I broke off. I really don't want it coming in here so I'm going to apply some new sealant to take care of this entry point. Seems really dumb. Don't know what the heck dodge engineers were thinking.

Quick Reply: Rain water in footwells