Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Differential question related to 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
keepers51
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Differential question related to 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Wagon

Straight to the subject - this is my first Dodge.and the first time I've ever experienced this type problem. The build sheet for this van indicates it has a DRG rear axle 9.25 Corporate HD. I don't claim to know what that is exactly but someone of you probably do. When I get off the pavement and the weight gets shifted off the right rear wheel even a little the tire loses traction and just spins causing me to have to jockey the vehicle around to get to a point where I get traction. It's not a good feeling when trying to get on the highway from a dirt road for instance. In the literature there is a Spicer 60HD and references to anti spin differentials. So, I'm not asking someone to know what I need for my particular solution but whether or not I am looking at a potential solution to my loss of traction? By choosing a differential swap? And - if by chance you are totally familiar with this solution and want to give advice I'd be thrilled to hear .

Old 02-21-2024, 07:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Put some variety of traction adder in there, and you'll be set. The Detroit true-trak works fairly well, and no clutches... so, it never wears out.

Another option would be..... better tires.....

The following users liked this post:
keepers51 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 09:23 PM
keepers51
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HeyYou, yep, better tires are in my future for sure. But traction adder sounds like something within my budget. What is it and where do I research it?

UPDATE: I just found a site and am reading traction adder is a bit beyond my beginner status. I'll go for changing to some AT3's for now. Thanks.

Last edited by keepers51; 02-21-2024 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-22-2024, 07:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

There is also the 'lunchbox locker'. It just replaces the spider gears in the rear diff, and most of the time, you don't have to pull the diff to install it. Relatively inexpensive as well.

The following users liked this post:
keepers51 (02-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Differential question related to 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Wagon