Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Coolant leak at rear of engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 09:16 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Coolant leak at rear of engine

I have a slow coolant leak and the only place I see a drip is at the rear of the engine off the plate in front of the torque converter. The only place I can think of supplying this coolant is the freeze plugs behind the flex plate. Just reaching out for any other places that may be relevant.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:33 AM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Thats what it is. Mine rusted out and i pulled the transmission and put new ones in. I think there were 2 different sizes. One may be oil plug, dont mess with it. Also got the hose and flushed out the rust in the block before reinstall. Also put in a new trans seal behind the converter while i was in there.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:27 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well that kind of confirms what I was thinking and last night I was on the phone with a tech friend of mine and mentioned what was going on and he was familiar with the issue and said it was common on these engines.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffersonracing
Well that kind of confirms what I was thinking and last night I was on the phone with a tech friend of mine and mentioned what was going on and he was familiar with the issue and said it was common on these engines.
Yeah, steel freeze plugs were just such a bad idea..... Likely saved dodge a few pennies per vehicle, so, given the volume of them they made.... a fair chunk of change. Get some good brass ones, change ALL of them.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak at rear of engine