Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Need advice on 2000 Van 2500 brakes and suspension restore

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 12:06 AM
keepers51
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice on 2000 Van 2500 brakes and suspension restore

I have purchased this old 2500 and it has 97k miles and need brakes and I know the front suspension parts need attention. So first question, should I have brakes done before any front suspension? To get to the forest camping I have a steep grade to get up and down without risking my life. Due to limited cash flow I will have to have that brake job and the suspension done in steps. So can the various front suspension components be replaced in steps? And wheel and axle bearings and universal joints? And I really don't want to go to the dealer for any of this so what sort of shop should I pick for the work? Should I find a shop that works on trucks as a specialty?

Old 05-05-2024, 09:56 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

While all parts serve a purpose, I agree that brakes should be pretty high on a priority list.

Since cash flow is an issue, check places like Craigslist for mechanics that do side jobs. It might take a bit longer for the work to be done but could also cost half the price of going to a shop, let alone the dealer. If any of that suspension work involves replacing things like ball joints or steering components, such as, tie rod ends, keep in mind that an alignment will need to be done after. So, anything related should be done at the same time so that you only have to pay for the alignment once. An alignment is not necessary after a brake job.

Quick Reply: Need advice on 2000 Van 2500 brakes and suspension restore