Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

So Costco can't install tires on a b1500

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 12:04 AM
OregonApe
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So Costco can't install tires on a b1500

Made appointment for Michelin XLTs for my 2000 1500. Wait two hours before they even get it in. They call me and say they can't lift it and the gas tank and cat are in the way of lifting under the body (please don't lift my vehicle from the body). They say maybe dodge has special equipment.

So yeah, wtf. There goes my evening.

Is this some known issue or is Costco incompetent?

Old 06-20-2024, 07:31 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Is that not a body on frame van? Why can't they use the frame like they are supposed to? Sounds like incompetency to me. Take your business elsewhere. You have a discount tire nearby? Far superior to Costco. They will match the price as well.

Old 06-20-2024, 09:29 AM
OregonApe
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Is that not a body on frame van? Why can't they use the frame like they are supposed to? Sounds like incompetency to me. Take your business elsewhere. You have a discount tire nearby? Far superior to Costco. They will match the price as well.
It is a body on frame van. I don't know, they just kept saying something about the parking brake cable or something.

I sort of have discount tire. I'm visiting family and there is one nearby. However back home the nearest one is like 45 minutes away, so I was trying to go with Costco since I shop there every week which makes rotations and such convenient. They won't price match costco on this because The michelin tire I was getting installed has a different model number (tire stores were tired of price matching costco and sam's club so they asked Michelin to do something about it and Michelin swapped one letter in the model that they sell to club stores). If you call Michelin they will tell you it is the exact same tire but only sold at club stores. Thus Discount Tire doesn't have to price match it. They did the same thing when I worked at Best Buy as a teenager. A lot of our computers were identical to those sold by competitors but had one digit changed in their model number so we didn't have to price match.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 09:30 AM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I Sounds like incompetency to me. Tl.

fwiw our vans are both unibody and framed...

they are incompetent - and that is a real issue with the Millennials, Z and the other idiots here in our country today...what has happened????

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 10:21 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 80 Likes on 74 Posts

Geez, don't they have a floor jack? Take off one wheel at time and replace the tire, it's not that complicated. It almost seems like they don't want to try.

The following 2 users liked this post by alloro:
ElkCon (06-21-2024), jkeaton (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 11:41 AM
turboregal
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They don't need to put the vehicle and lift the entire van up to mount tires. Arguably quicker with a couple of floor jacks and if you watch how most tire shops operate, they will often do the same thing. I'd find a new shop...

The following 2 users liked this post by turboregal:
ElkCon (06-21-2024), jkeaton (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 11:48 AM
OregonApe
Amateur

Originally Posted by alloro
Geez, don't they have a floor jack? Take off one wheel at time and replace the tire, it's not that complicated. It almost seems like they don't want to try.
Apparently not. That or their floor jack wouldn't reach that high. Maybe that's what they were talking about with having to stack pads.

Originally Posted by turboregal
They don't need to put the vehicle and lift the entire van up to mount tires. Arguably quicker with a couple of floor jacks and if you watch how most tire shops operate, they will often do the same thing. I'd find a new shop...
I guess they rely solely on lifts. I spent a decent amount of time looking in their shop (since you know, I had two hours to kill) and I don't recall seeing a floor jack.

Old 06-21-2024, 08:40 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 80 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonApe
I guess they rely solely on lifts. I spent a decent amount of time looking in their shop (since you know, I had two hours to kill) and I don't recall seeing a floor jack.
Go into Costco and buy one for them to borrow.

Old 06-21-2024, 09:26 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

they are incompetent - and that is a real issue with the Millennials, Z and the other idiots here in our country today...what has happened????
THIS! If you were born after a certain date comes in the dumbass factor.

Last edited by Moparite; 06-21-2024 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-21-2024, 05:42 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonApe
Apparently not. That or their floor jack wouldn't reach that high. Maybe that's what they were talking about with having to stack pads.

This is the difference between dealing with a technician (We can't do it.) and an actual mechanic (We'll figure something out.)

Quick Reply: So Costco can't install tires on a b1500