Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Shudders while braking after all new brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2024, 09:09 PM
FatMouse
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shudders while braking after all new brakes

Hi everyone,

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Van w/ 5.2L V8 and 203k

A mechanic friend and I recently replaced most of the brake components before a big trip, as he said they were worn out. We did calipers, rotors and pads up front, drums, shoes, brake cylinders and hardware kit in the rear. Also wheel bearings and flexible brake hoses front and rear. Van has rear wheel abs only.

Now I get really intense shuddering when braking, even at low speeds and especially at high speed or downhill. It doesn't feel particularly strong in the steering wheel to me, more like in the body. I don't think I feel it in the pedal either.

Any ideas? How can I zero in on what's off?

Thanks for your time!

Old Yesterday, 05:45 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

If it's not in the steering wheel, then it's most likely one or both of the rears. First thing I'd do is remove the drums and check the mounting surfaces for debris. If there is any then the drums don't sit flat and run straight.

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,313 Likes on 3,058 Posts

May need to have the drums turned..... When I did this kind of thing for a living, I would not just install drums/rotors right out of the box..... they would get a ride on the brake lathe first, to make sure they were true..... I hated having to do jobs twice..... and the off the shelf parts were universally NOT true......

Quick Reply: Shudders while braking after all new brakes