Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 Ram Van not Starting

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,345 Likes on 3,087 Posts

The plugs ground thru the block. If the engine has a good ground, you should be set. Wouldn't hurt to clean 'em though. Do you have a scanner that can read live data??? Have a look at misfire counters, see which cylinder(s) is(are) being bad.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
MKMcDonough
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I meant where is the return getting to the coil. It must be through the coil mounting bolts. that seems super weird to me since the bolts go through the inductor core directly. I’ve never seen or heard of someone using magnetic core material as a conductor.

Old Today, 09:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,345 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Originally Posted by MKMcDonough
I meant where is the return getting to the coil. It must be through the coil mounting bolts. that seems super weird to me since the bolts go through the inductor core directly. I’ve never seen or heard of someone using magnetic core material as a conductor.
Not sure what you are getting at here..... What do you mean by 'return'??? The coil is powered via the ASD relay, PCM controls the ground side. It breaks the circuit to fire the coil.

Old Today, 10:11 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by MKMcDonough
I pulled a plug wire and spark tested it. Still getting an orange spark instead of blue. Is that relevant?
Yes, it is relevant. Spark should be blue; orange is a sign of weak spark. Test the wire directly off the coil, if that one has blue spark, then you have a cap or rotor issue, if it is also orange then you likely have an ignition coil or wiring issue.

Old Today, 11:37 AM
MKMcDonough
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, turns out the plug had almost no gap. I must have dropped it into the plug cylinder too hard and bent it or maybe I dropped one on the ground and forgot? I gapped them so they should have been good. 🤷‍♂️

I will still take a look at the spark directly off the new ignition coil just to see if it’s blue.

HeyYou, I’d have to draw the circuit to better describe my question, but I guess it’s OBE now. It seems to be working fine with the new plug gap.

Thanks again for y’all’s help! I’m super appreciative of this community.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ram Van not Starting