Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

83 B250 Will not start when warm

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:08 PM
hgrace
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 B250 Will not start when warm

I've had trouble recently with a 83 B250 Dodge Van, I swapped the engine 15 years ago after the 318 blew, it has a 74 360 from a Power Wagon in it.
It has run perfectly for years,

In the last year or two a "warm engine" starting problem has occurs, when cold it starts up great, once warm it seems to lack spark ,a and won't start until it sits for a while.
I have had several people look at it and they are now looking at some secondary starting device in the distributor. My first thought was a fusible link or something.

I was at a party this weekend and someone heard me talking about it and mentioned that they had the same trouble in a Dodge Ram Van (full sized too).
Have you heard of this ? What could it be ?

Old 05-23-2006, 01:14 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 83 B250 Will not start when warm

I would check the coil voltage to make sure it was 12v consistanly. Both at start up and when the engine is warm. You can run some lead wires to your volt-meter from the coil to check. This would determine if the coil has gone bad. Sometimes a coil will go bad and just stop working, other times, it just gives a flaky undervoltage. It can't hurt to check.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:50 PM
hgrace
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 83 B250 Will not start when warm

Well I've replaced, ballast resistors, coil, ECU, Ignition switch, and stiill the same .
Most recently I was told that there are 2 "Units" in the distributor, one for start and one for reun, electonic advance i assume.
Have you heard of this ? got any suggestions on a replacement distributor ?

Quick Reply: 83 B250 Will not start when warm