Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

help i know nothing about dodge vans......how can i change...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 12:26 AM
mr. nice guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help i know nothing about dodge vans......how can i change...

im doing this for a neighbor who due to health problems, cant do it or afford to pay someone.

it's a 1987 dodge van with a 225 motor and it has a bad exhaust manifold gasket...so can someone tell me what tools i need to pull the exhaust manifold? and how easy or hard this will be??

(the only experience i have with cars, is working on hondas....help)

Old 07-27-2006, 01:24 AM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker
Default RE: help i know nothing about dodge vans......how can i change...

isnt that the slant 6??.. all you should need is a socket and ratchet... maybe a scraper or flat head screw driver to scrap the old gasket off

If I remember the exhaust and intake manifolds are on the same side of the motor, and they use the same gasket...(someone chime in here, Im not quite sure) So you will need to do more than usual, unbolting the whole assembly from the head, put CLEAN towels in the holes, only so nothing can get in them(dont put more than 1/3 of the towel in the hole) scrap the old gasket off.. put new one on, and the manifold ontop of that, bolt down, and your done.

maybe if you would let us know the area, a nice forum member in your area could read this and come help you out.... I know if your in the detroit area, i would probably help ya out....

Old 07-27-2006, 02:07 AM
mr. nice guy

yes i belive the guy said it was a slant 6. what side of the engine is the manifold on?(by the front bumper or the firewall?) i plan on just changin the exhaust mani. gasket....do i need to get under the van for any reason? or could everything be done from the top?

and thanks for the offer to help, but im in the san diego area

bump for a reply

Old 07-27-2006, 02:23 AM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

should be on the driver side... set up RWD not FWD(not like a honda)

you shouldnt need to get under the van, I havent worked on such a late model van before though... in fact, you may have to do the work from inside the van... in order to get to the engine, it is not as simple as opening the hood on these dodge vans.. you need to take off the center console inside of the van

Old 07-27-2006, 03:35 AM
mr. nice guy

thank you for your help, i really appreciate it[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 07-27-2006, 01:30 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

If you need anymore help just post it up... good luck!

Old 07-29-2006, 02:54 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I havn't worked on a slant six since 1989! I had one in my '79 Dodge Aspen.

Yep, the manifolds are on the passenger side by the wheel well. If the bolts are rusted in, you'll need to soak them really good. The last thing you need is to break one. [>:] My dad years back had a leak and did this very same job on a 1974 Plymonth Duster. It looked simple, but very time consuming. You will need to remove the passenger tire as well to get under the manifold in some cases. I remember my dad doing this.

If any of the bolts break, you'll need an easyout tool. If the bolts are nearly shot and come out, you'll need to replace them. Get a good grade bolt and/or stainless steel replacements you don't need to do this job a second time around.

Also, don't forget to properly torque the manifold bolts back on in the specifed pattern sequence too. Plus, with the first few bolts, make sure the gasket is very well aligned and will not tear when the remainder bolts go in.

If I recall, and it's been nearly three decades, my dad used some really high temp RTV gasket material in a tube that was put on in a thin bead too.

At this site and page, scroll down to the manifold section for some good info. You may take another route if it isn't the gasket leaking.

www.allpar.com/slant6.html

The /6 or slant six has been around since 1959 to 1987~89.

Quick Reply: help i know nothing about dodge vans......how can i change...