Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2003 Ram Van Blower

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:27 PM
TouringRamVan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Ram Van Blower

I am currently touring for work in a 2003 van and the blower doesn't work. I turn the Heat/AC **** and I hear the compressor kick on and off so I think either the fan motor died or it's a fuse, circut breaker, or relay that's bad. My boss doesn't want to spend another cent on the van and so I can't take it to a garage just for this. His suggestion is to get a space heater and plug it into the lighter, but I'm worried that I won't have a windshield defogger to see in bad weather. Can anyone suggest what I can do myself to see if it is the fan motor, or if it's a fuse, circut breaker, or relay that's bad. I looked at the fuses on the driver side of the dash and they looked ok, as well as the ones under the hood. I looked at the breakers too, but I have no idea how to tell if one is good or bad. Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:31 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2003 Ram Van Blower

Usually it's a $20 or less dollar part called a blower-resistor at a parts store if the fuses check out alright.

It is possible that the blower motor died, but that can be checked by applying 12VDC to it. Just keep your hands away from the fan that moves if the motor kicks on. If the motor spins the fan, then the blower-resistor is bad.

I got two Ram Vans, a 2000 and 2001. So, I'm all to familiar with the HVAC system in them.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:28 AM
IGadget
Professional

Fuses are an easy first check, Any auto parts store will be able to sell you a fuse tester they are about $2 all they do is check Continuity between the metal touch points on the top of the blade fuse on turn on a light if it is good. If you have a DVM/VOM for the work you do, set it to OHMS, and poke arround. You should read 0 resistance for any good fuse. I'm not sure where the breakers are, however, they should work similar to your house breakers unless they are the single trip variety. You should be able to check if they are open with the same method if the state isn't obvious.
As my dodge van is just about to pass its 20th birtday I don't have anything fancy like breakers or blade fuses but testing is just the same.

Sounds like PHB Syndrome, failing to maintain a safely operating vehicle that has the potential to kill someone, to save $15 in parts.

good luck

Old 10-16-2006, 04:14 AM
x6031

Hi,
I have a similar problem, and was wondering if someone could help me to get a clue on what’s going on. My blower works only on highest speed, but won’t work on the lower ones. I checked and found that out of 5 wires coming to the blower switch there is just one plus and one minus. I assume that one plus is the one providing the max speed. The other three wires are dead and I think that is why there are no other speeds. How would I test this further? What could be the problem?
Thanks guys.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:08 PM
DodgeOwner2

X6031,

Check your blower resistor, your fan will blow on high w/ a bad resistor. These resistors will corrode and fail. You will find a replacement at any auto store such as Advance Auto Parts resistor part number RU898 for $24.99 usd.
You will find resistor in enginge compartment on left side attached to blower. remove two bolts and wire connection, slide resistor out of blower assm. replace and reverse install.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:31 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeOwner2
You will find a replacement at any auto store such as Advance Auto Parts resistor part number RU898 for $24.99 usd.
Surprisingly, I got a replacement resistor pack from the dealer for only $15.

Quick Reply: 2003 Ram Van Blower