Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

still stumbling in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 01:03 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts
Default RE: still stumbling in the cold

No, the stalling and hesitation is due to your choke, the surging and squealing is due to your alternator or it's belt. Two different and unrelated problems here. Although the stalling issue could've caused the alternator issue because of the constant recharging needed for the battery.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:15 AM
rod_tremblay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I had the van out yesterday and it was 10 degrees celsius....warm.... started right up with minimal cranking and seems to be working ok, but still a little of that hesitation when i pull away from stop and a tiny bit of sputtering too....is this still my choke or am i maybe looking at a malfunctioning fuel pump? I checked my pcv valve=ok and sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner on the choke plate so maybe thats why its working better. Still seems like a fuel issue to me but running great now once its warm aside from the hesitation
any ideas? cheers

Old 12-08-2006, 07:34 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

It's still a choke problem.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:05 AM
IGadget
Professional

I cheated on my 83 van and put in a manual choke cable, just need to remember to open it back up once it warms up. Close to start open to run. There is something on the right side of the carb that is supposed to be some sort of vacume controll but Ive never seen it work, know what it is called, or even found documentaton to test it.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:55 PM
2xtream
Default 95 1500 Ram Magnum,

My Truck started using more gas, my tail pipe started turning black, I noticed a week before this last weekend when I had to make a trip 300mi away. About 1/2 there the engine started to stumble/miss, No backfire just stumble, this happens when I hold the gas at a steady pace. If I stepped down on the fuel peddle the truck would zoom away like nothing was wrong. But then go back to holding the peddle at one speed and the engine would stumble/miss very bad. I was able to complete the trip but the fuel cost was 3 times the normal amount. And now the tail pipe is solid black. Oh and the eng light comes on about 10min of driving, but when I stop for a very short time it goes out, only to return in a few mins... And under the hood there seems to be nothing noticeably wrong to cause the check eng light to go on. What could this crazy stuff be?

Old 11-10-2011, 08:03 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by 2xtream
My Truck started using more gas, my tail pipe started turning black, I noticed a week before this last weekend when I had to make a trip 300mi away. About 1/2 there the engine started to stumble/miss, No backfire just stumble, this happens when I hold the gas at a steady pace. If I stepped down on the fuel peddle the truck would zoom away like nothing was wrong. But then go back to holding the peddle at one speed and the engine would stumble/miss very bad. I was able to complete the trip but the fuel cost was 3 times the normal amount. And now the tail pipe is solid black. Oh and the eng light comes on about 10min of driving, but when I stop for a very short time it goes out, only to return in a few mins... And under the hood there seems to be nothing noticeably wrong to cause the check eng light to go on. What could this crazy stuff be?
Wow! what an old thread from 2006! Wasn't the problem addressed back then?

Since your van is of the magnum engine era, please do the key dance and count the flashes of the check-engine-light. 12 and 55 are normal flashes. The flashes that blink in between are the important ones. Then report back here.

Quick Reply: still stumbling in the cold