Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Spark Plug Help Needed - Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:14 PM
lanesharon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spark Plug Help Needed - Still

Okay, I tried the freezing method and almost froze my finger off.

I tried it several times, and everything snapped, crackled, and popped and the spark plug didn't budge an iota. Tried the breaker bar and got nothing. This is Day 9 of this horrible journey. Today, I did something that is totally not like me. I cried. That is when I decided to throw in the towel.

I live in a senior community, in southern Arizona where there are few mechanics. The ones that are here arereal crooks, so I know I am going for some big bucks for a head pull. I have no choice because I cannot get this myself. So, I called on today and he is 'scheduled' to take it on Wednesday. If you live in the southwest, you understand that that could be Thursday, Friday, next week, or next month. [&:]

Thanks for trying to help. Take Care, Sharon

Old 02-08-2007, 01:31 PM
lanesharon
Professional

Today, I am doing the 'Happy Dance'[sm=happybounce.gif]

The mechanic did not show up, which is really normal for this area. Contractors and service people sometimes take a couple weeks of cancelling, rescheduling, or just never showing up, in this area.

So, I called a handy man that I have used in the area. He has older cars, in great condition, so I thought he might have some experience with problems like this. He came over and we worked on it together (me positioning the breaker bar and him under the vehicle). I heard a 'crack' and cringed. But, it was good news. He finally broke that thing loose.

I drove it around last night, a little, and all seems okay. I still need to get new wires, and finish the tuneup. Then, I can keep up on things on a regular basis and hopefully never hit this situation again.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.
Take Care, Sharon

Old 02-08-2007, 01:44 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Early last year in 2006, I had changed the plugs in the spring on my 5.2L/318cid Magnum engine on the Ram Van.

I broke the ceramic insulator, the electrode, and sheared the metal socket off of the spark plug. All that was left in the engine head was the spark plug lower body containing the threads and the botom end of the ceramic insulator. [:@]O-U-C-H.

The plugs were the original Champion plugs that Chrysler used right off of the assembly line. I bought the van used, so I thought the previous owner had at least changed them once within the 70k miles. NOPE.

Well, I took it to a local dependable AES garage. http://www.asecert.org They used an easy-out tool on that broken plug. Well, I then asked them to change all of the plugs out, vacuum out the cylinders that plugs would brake in and change the oil. The total came to just under $300. This included 2 hours of labor (those plugs were in there really good), two other plugs broke off the same way, and the care taken to prevent any broken plug parts into the engine.

How to find a AES shop ...
http://www.ase.com/bluesealsearch/locator.php

I went with the Autolite plugs since they have a coating on the metal surface to help prevent the plug from freeze welding to the head.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:00 PM
lanesharon
Professional

I hate to tell you the reputation of the only shop listed on that website, in my town. To be nice, I will say - Not good at all! I don't know what they have to do to get those ratings, but it sure didn't come from customer feedback. LOL

Take Care, Sharon

Old 02-09-2007, 07:32 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sharon,

You will need o provide feedback if you can about the certified tech's work. The shop isn't certified at all. If the certified mechanic quits and goes elsewhere, so does the AES certification.

Stev

Old 02-10-2007, 03:44 AM
IGadget
Professional

Yay, you got it out.. The freezing was more of a long shot deffinately, and I did say that it gets darn cold

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Help Needed - Fixed