Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

What Options do I have with a 318

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 03:26 AM
dodgeluver85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Options do I have with a 318

I have a 2001 dodge ram with a 318 and I'm not real satisfied with the output so far I have done an airaid system on it including the throle body spacer I haven't got all the way with the exhaust but plan on running true duals with hooker headers(hence why I haven't got to it) I have done the basic tune up with performace parts sparkplugs and wires. I plan on doing hypertech programmer but I have heard they don;t do much for gas motors. So if anyone as any ideas for me.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:55 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Default RE: What Options do I have with a 318

First thing you need to do is search this forum for the Merry Christmas thread. Once you find the attachment download it. This download is the service manual for the 2001 Dodge Ram and is must have material for every Ram owner.

Thenremove the throttle body spacer. They do not do anything for Magnum engines. The throttle body spacer is supposed to mix up the air so the fuel atomizes better. With our multi-port injected engines, the fuel is injected just before entering the combustion chamber. The air that your spacer is mixing still goes about a foot before the injector so any benefit is already lost. I had one once and now use it as a paper weight on my desk to remind me to research a mod fully before spending my hard earned cash.

Regarding hooker headers, I am uncertain if they make them for our rams, but headers is only 1 piece of the puzzle. Also there are others on this site that can talk about true duals, but if you do that you will need to do something about the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors. These trucks must have 02 sensors or simulators. Like I said, others can explain that part better.

Here's what I would recommend :
[ol][*]Fastman 50mm throttle body[*]Instead of dual exhaust, go with a flowmaster Force II cat-back exhaust system[*]Purchase the MSD 6A ignition system, MSD Blaster 2 coil, and at a minimum 8mm spark plug wires.[*]Install Autolite 3923 spark plugs.[*]A lot of people on this site have had good results from the Hypertech Power Programmer. From what I read, their engines are basically like yours in that the inside of the engine is stock with external add-ons, and they are running stock fuel injectors. I have a Hypertech on my 2001, but since I have a built up engine I am replacing it with a custom B&G performance flash.[/ol]
For more performance
[ol][*]Set of Harlan Sharp 1.7 non-adjustable roller rockers. This will act just like you've installed a mild cam as it open the valve more.[*]Edelbrock or Gibson shorty headers.[*]High flow catalytic converter.[*]Don't know what gears you have, but if 3.55's and you've a 4X4 replace them with 3.92's if you're short on cash because you don't have to change the front carrier also. If two-wheel drive, move straight up to 4.11 gears.[/ol]
You need to remember that the 318 you're running is trying to push a 5000 lb brick down the highway.

Hope this info helps.

BTW, you can search through the forum on any of these subjects and find lots of information.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:30 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Throw the 360 in its place. Better yet, stroke the 360 into a 402. Then have fun.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Cordoba man
Professional

New trucks aren't that much different than old ones as far as mods. Careful on the sensors though. Putting a programmer isnt' much different than just changing/adjusting your carb or timing, so consider that when you're spending. I have a jet stage 1 on my hemi that adds about 20hp, but more importantly fixes the shifting problems on the 5 speed.
Also, gears is good as always. Get the revs up. Cubic inches is best. Headers and a high flow exhaust is good, but about the best bang for the buck is the good old camshaft.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:30 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

You have to be careful with a camshaft upgrade because you might run into coil bind on your valve springs which would cause all kinds of not so good things. Also if the engine has a lot of miles, he may need to replace the springs anyway and that leads right down the road to a valve job. And a valve job leads right to an engie rebuild cause the rings will probably go.

I agree that the bigger the engine the better. Hell I did the swap from a 318 to a 360 myself, along with all of the other mods you mentioned. But if you're on a limited budget, do the poor mans camshaft and buy Harlan Sharp non-adjustable 1.7 roller rockers. I guaranteee you will pick up horsepower and not run into the extra expenses associated with a camshaft upgrade. This takes about 2 hours to do in your own garage. Give yourself 3 hours if you've never replaced rrocker arms before. If in the future he is going to upgrade the cam he needs to consider that before purchasing the 1.7's. Too much cam lift and there will be no clearance between the valves and the pistons.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:40 AM
dodgeluver85

well i appreciate the help and I will look up that post on the service manual hopefully i can piece it together

Old 04-16-2007, 03:32 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned

If your email inbox will allow it, I can try sending it to you (big .pdf)

Old 04-16-2007, 11:43 PM
dodgeluver85

i would appreciate that i tried finding it last night but didnt have too much luck to be honest my email shouldn't have a problem with it

Old 04-18-2007, 01:38 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Umm...need email address...

Old 04-19-2007, 11:14 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Sent email, did you get what you needed?

Quick Reply: What Options do I have with a 318