Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Looking for Dakota towing answers

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:04 PM
scott_expedition
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Dakota towing answers

Have a 2000 dakota 4.7. Truck drives fine until I hookup to pull a trailer. When pulling out of overdrive and traveling at highway speed the truck will surge. The tach will jump. Have already taken into shop for transmission flush and look. The mechanic has stated everything looks ok. filters changed. Can this be a sensor somewhere? wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:36 PM
HellaciousHemi
Veteran
Default RE: Looking for Dakota towing answers

The surge can be from taking the truck out of overdrive when towing. Think of it this way, when you shift into a lower gear the engine RPMS are different because of the different ratio in the transmission. Its a normal happening when things downshift.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:27 PM
scott_expedition
Default RE: Looking for Dakota towing answers

I always turn off overdrive from a stop. Theres a lot more stress on the transmission when towing and don't want to take a chance on doing damage turning over drive on and off when towing. I read of someone changing the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Can someonedirect me as to where that is located? Near transmission or up under the hood? I think I'll try putting a new one in to see if that corrects the problem.

Scott

Quick Reply: Looking for Dakota towing answers