Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

rear left tire spinning... sounds weird

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 04:23 AM
BlakeAF96
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear left tire spinning... sounds weird

(before I talk about it, it's only the rear>left tire thats doing it) When I crank my truck and start to drive off, it sounds like that tire is spinning or slipping or something. And if I floor it kinda, it spins REAL easy... what is causing this problem? It like slides easy... Anyone ever had this problem? If so, what causes it? Thanks..

Old 09-12-2004, 05:52 PM
mazz
Veteran
Default RE: rear left tire spinning... sounds weird

When you say "crank", are you referring to holding the brake and applying your foot to the gas pedal, effectively torqueing the engine? Don't do that and your tire won't spin. Guessing you don't have the anti-spin rear.

Old 09-12-2004, 06:48 PM
BlakeAF96

I don't know what you're talking about. It don't do it when I crank it... just when I drive off and stuff.. that tire spins really easy.. i just get in my truck (its an automatic) and hold the brake and crank it, then put it in Drive and go... but when I give it some gas going down the road, the tire tries to spin or something.

Old 09-13-2004, 02:14 AM
94ram4x4 5.9
Professional

What you are experiencing is the effects of the limited-slip differential. Basically, when you need power to the ground, it transfers all the power to one wheel and causes it to spin, while the other tire has traction, but no power. I experienced the same thing on my Ram until the rear end blew out and I had it replaced with Posi-trac. If you have very little tread left on your tires(like i did) it only makes the problem worse.

Old 09-13-2004, 01:22 PM
BlakeAF96

My tires are BRAND new Michelan's... How can I get this fixed?

Old 09-13-2004, 01:34 PM
SSgt1234

spend 900 plus installation for a positraction rear end... or go to a truck acessories store and get 3.55 or lower gears put in for like 400 ish dollars. Or just be real gentle on the gas.... If this is really your problem.

Usually though with open difs the right rear wheel is the one that spins...

Quick Reply: rear left tire spinning... sounds weird