Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Buy advice: 5.7L Hemi or 6.7L Cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 04:20 AM
AllanK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buy advice: 5.7L Hemi or 6.7L Cummins?

I think I know what the issue is. I'll send them a new email. The payload is limited because there is only 732 lbs available on the front axle: 5200 (GAWR Front) less 4468 (Curb Weight Front) = 732. Since the payload is spread between the cab and the bed, the number cannot be too high since a portion of the payload will bear onto the front axle.

However doing the same axle calculation for the rear axle gives 3,299 lbs available. A 5th wheel hitch sits just fractionally forward of the rear axle, so almost the entire weight of the trailer hitch (20%) is over the rear axle with minimal extra load on the front axle. Unlike Chevrolot, Dodge do not specify a separate 5th wheel tow rating. That is the question I need to ask. With the diesel the 5th wheel rating is likely to be similar to the two rating of 12,700. Chevrolot show such numbers.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:27 AM
savage.basher

I had previously bought a new 2006 ram 1500 with a 4.7l v8. The truck was great, fell in love with dodge because of it, but I could not stand the engine, drivetrain, etc. I got 12.5 mpg on my daily commute, as previously stated by someone else it is hard to keep your foot out of the petal even if you are trying. Recently I couldn't stand it anymore and took it back to the dealer and traded it in for a new 07 ram 2500 5.9l cummins (same body as the previous truck). Now my fuel mileage is 21 on the same daily commute. Also, just recently where I live diesel is starting to be cheaper by about 20 cents a gallon too! In my opinion (allready having owned both trucks) get the diesel, no question. My only other input would be that you should find a 07 new on the lot that still has the old 5.9l so that you can still run the low sulfer and are not limited to the new ultra low sulfer, plus as far as I know you will be exempt from the new emmisions laws. Also with the diesel it is very inexpensive to add more power/torque (as if you would need it). Good luck,finding your new diesel.
crap almost forgot, my diesel is a 6spd (also recommended )

Old 06-03-2007, 06:14 AM
AllanK

Thanks for the replies. I can't find the righ 5.9L locally, so I'll keep looking. I've read some disturbing mpg ratings for the 6.9L CTD especially when not driven hard, which will be my case during the week. It appears the regen feature really kills the mpg. Some forums are reporting 10 mpg!! There is also some discussion that this might be a "defect" that could be repaired by an ECM update.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:34 AM
nascarnut
Professional

It most likely has to do with the new emissons. Diesel's used to get even better than what they do now, but due to emissons, their ratings have gone down. My dad drives a semi for a lving and because of this new emissons crap, the cost of semi's are going up but about 8-10k dollars. I hope those tree huggers are happy![:@]

Old 07-31-2007, 07:58 PM
jedrph
Rookie

I'm not sure about the payload numbers either - I think dodge is just covering themselves. I used to work at a lumber yard and have seen people put 1ton of sand in a S10!! I have a 2007 5.9 ctd and had around 2250lbs of stone in the back and ithauled just fine with no problems. Plus I love the diesel engine, so much power didn't even slow down going up hills in 6th gear.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:28 PM
dramman

Not sure what the outcome of this thread was. But i'll put my two cents in. I just traded my 06 1500 ram quad cab with the hemi and mds which got roughly 13-15mpg to a new 07 2500 4x4 mega cab with the 6.7 and 6 speed auto. I'm not through my first tank yet but i'm at 370 miles on a tank that's between the half mark. and quarter tank mark. My hemi had the 34 gallon tank and this new truck does as well. My hemi would be empty at about 370-380. So my assumption is gas is way better in the new truck with the diesel and it's not even broken in yet. as far as the performace. You can't go wrong with the diesel. Buy it!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:24 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The September 2007 issue of Consumer Reports arrived
and has an article on page 52 reviewing full size pickups
with most written on 1500 models
but they did test 3/4 ton diesels from Dodge, GM and Ford
and had all gasoline and diesel pickups tow the same 7400 lb trailer.

High Points:
Consumers Reports says that the reliability of the Ram has now
improved enough that they make it a 'recommended' pick.

Low points:
The new diesels with the new emissions and ULSD fuel
all showed quite low MPG in 'mixed' driving and towing the 7400 lb trailer:

Ford 250 6.4L........10 MPG mixed....8.7 MPG towing
GM 6.6 Duramax....13 MPG mixed...10.4 MPG towing

Dodge 6.7. diesel...13 MPG mixed...10 MPG towing

Dodge 5.7gas........13 MPG mixed....8.2 MPG towing

The Toyota Tundra 5.7 was 15 MPG mixed and 8.4 towing
and pulled the 7400 lb trailer to 60 mph in 16.1 seconds
versus 18.9 seconds for the Ford Powerstroke
versus same 18.9 seconds for Dodge 6.7 Cummins
and 17.0 seconds for the Chevy Duramax.

Consumer Reports writes that they dislike the ride of the Tundra
and prefer the ride of the new Silverado.

The Dodge Ram matched the Tundra on dry braking from 60 mph
with 153 feet for each. It is good to see Ram brakes up to snuff finally.

sample quote:

"The Dodge Ram 1500 has improved since the last time we tested it in 2004.
It rides and handles better, and it is quieter."

This issue of Consumers Reports has
"Stop ID thieves"
on a blue cover

Old 08-03-2007, 10:23 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

AllanK - I was surprised that the tow rating on the Hemi 1500 jumped 2000lbs. when going to the 4.10 gears, I wonder what it is with my 4.56 gears?

As far as my 2 cents on the original post - I bought a 1500 Hemi in '04. I REALLY wanted a diesel, but I had enough to simply write a check for the difference in my trade and the Hemi. I would have had to put it all down plus finance $8k with the Diesel, and I just got divorced, moved and took a lower paying job (about $30k a year lower), so the idea of not having a monthly payment weighed heavily.
I had a Bass Boat at the time (19' w/ 175HP) that only weighed in dry at about 2500lbs. with trailer and I only averaged 10-12k miles a year (even with a monthly trip to my hunting/fishing/off-road play farm I own with a couple buddies that's about 280 miles away). Those factors made me decide on the 1500 HEMI.

I LOVE MY HEMI, but that said, if I had to do it all over again, I'd finance the lousy $8k and get the diesel. I've modded the hell out of my truck to the tune of about $6k and would lose my *** if I traded up now. So I live with my decision. If I'd have gotten the diesel it would have been a lot harder financially to do the lift, winch, gears, etc. that I've enjoyed doing to this truck.

Also, IMO, if you decide on the CTD, even if you can get a better deal on the 5.9, and yes it will burn cheaper diesel fuel, I'd go for the 6.7. The weak link in that 5.9 is the 4 speed tranny and ALL the early write-ups I've read says that the new 6 speed auto yields much greater MPG's and compared to the older 4 speed is virtually bulletproof! Plus the cheaper fuel will increasingly become harder to get, making you have to burn the new fuel in a short time anyway.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:25 PM
dramman

consumer reports is a useful tool. However with the MPG ratings on the trucks especially the diesels. They don't tell you how many miles they put on the trucks before they started doing the testing. Everyone knows that diesels get better gas mileage as the motors break in at about 10k miles, even under load.

The 0-60mph pull could be a variety of reasons the tundra pulled better numbers. Since that truck has come out, there has been a HUGE publicity campaign. The auto business is much like the politcal scene.
If the publishers are paid enough they'll make the right truck come out ahead in the reviews. This may not be the case.
But I'm still much much happier in my diesel truck,than i am in a gasoline powered truck. And super happy with my decision to go diesel. As hammerz71 said in the previous post. He shoulda gotten the diesel to begin with. This was my same thought when i traded in my 06 hemi for the 07 6.7 with the 6 speed auto. It's diesel, it's got the six speed, I shouldn't have to buy another truck again for avery long time.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:28 PM
rtmorrisjr
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought an 01 w/ a 360 gasser. if i had the money i would def trade up for a diesel, hands down. Even if not towing, you get better mileage anyways. My next one WILL be a diesel.

Quick Reply: Buy advice: 5.7L Hemi or 6.7L Cummins?