Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Buy advice: 5.7L Hemi or 6.7L Cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 02:06 PM
AllanK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy advice: 5.7L Hemi or 6.7L Cummins?

[align=left]I hope I can get some buying advice here for a Dodge pickup. I’m looking at a Ram 2500 4WD LWB automatic transmission, on the basis of if I have a more powerful truck I’m going to find a use for it. However, should I get the 5.7L Hemi or the new 6.7L Cummins diesel?

I own some land just over one hour away from my home, about 120 miles round trip. I need a pickup to haul stuff there, around the property, and back home. Driving would include off-road on farm land or forest tracks. A Ram 1500 4WD 8ft bed would be ok. This would also be useful to haul stuff to/from home locally.

However occasionally, but only several times a year, I need to borrow/rent heavier equipment on trailers and tow it to the property, so probably need a Ram 2500 instead. I also have a 5th wheel RV which at 6,000 lbs wet weight is borderline for a Ram 1500 with 20% hitch weight and stuff (passengers etc).

The rest of the time the pickup would be acting as a “car” for local transportation. I work at home a lot, so typical trips are 5 to 20 miles round trip. Total annual mileage is currently about 6,000 miles - working at home helps a lot

I plan on keeping the pickup for a long time (5-10 yrs), so the diesel is attractive for being more reliable in the long run, having better mileage, lower cost fuel in the summer than gas, and running on B20 fuel. However it costs quite a bit more, and I’ve read comments about a reliability impact of running a diesel engine for many short trips.

Can anyone give me some guidance?[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]

Old 05-28-2007, 05:14 PM
crcarch
Professional
Default RE: Buy advice: 5.7L Hemi or 6.7L Cummins?

Here's my two cents. For doing the grunt work and longevity, the 2500 with the Cummins is far surperior, but at asubstantial cost. Compared with a 1500/HEMI, you're looking at approx. $7-8000 more for something you'll actually need only a few times a year. Even with the current disparity in fuel prices, diesel is only about 30-40 cents a gallon less than regular (at least here in Georgia),which the HEMI runs fine on. Given that the HEMI offers MDS and gets better mileage if you keep your foot out of it, the diesel willnever realisticallypay for itself in mileage. Here's why. Even if they got the same MPG,it would take 262,500 miles to make up the $0.40/gal. difference, or almost 44 years at your driving rate!

Also, when taking into account that you drive so little, even at 10 years, you'll only have 60,000miles on it. That's barely broken in!And as you pointed out, short trips are the bane of a diesel engine.

Go with the 1500/HEMI

Old 05-28-2007, 06:18 PM
AllanK

crcarch - very valid points, thanks for your comments.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:50 PM
megacabram

I would recomend the 6.7 turbo cummings diesel if you could afford it its more powerful 350 horsepower 650 of torque Hemi 345 horsepower 375 of torque . I mean their both excellent engines i have a Hemi 1500 wanted a diesel but money was the problem for me i loved my truck i know its powerful but i also know that big brother cummings has the advantage in doing more work. Hit It !!!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:19 AM
moonraker

If your budget will stand it, go for the diesel. In real world situations, because with all the best intentions it is very hard to keep a light foot, it will give almost double the mileage of an equivalent gas powered model on short trips and for hauling up to 50% more. I have heard of guys with the 5.7 hemi getting 8mpg and less when hauling heavy loads. As for the short trips, well they are not good for any engine, gas or diesel, but if you keep it serviced regularly and according to useage, i.e. more short trips = more frequent oil changes, then you shouldn't have a problem. I use my 3500 dually, 2004 model with 5.9 cummins, for both short and long trips and for city driving it is as cheap to run as my wifes 2007 Toyota Camry, and a lot more fun.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:06 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I say go with the diesel hands down. Power, longitivity, resale (if ever needed) much stronger drivetrain. Towing well you can tow damn near anything you can think of. plus you get solid front axle as oppose to ifs. I drive mine everywhere. jsut keep the maintenace up and follow the turbo cool down proceedures and you will have a long lasting truck.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:48 PM
minex
Veteran

I'd go for the Cummins. However, keep in mind that the 6.7L engine requires ULSD fuel.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:25 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

6,000 miles a year! I put that many on mine a month, lol. I have had my truck since november and have ~40,000 as of today

Old 05-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

hemi = 10 - 12 mpg

cummins = 16 - 21 mpg!!!

which do you prefer???

my friend just traded in his 05 hemi for a new 6.7cummins 6 speed auto. his EYES LIT UP WITH THE POWER!!

he was also pissed bout my 93 cummins gettin way better fuel milage vs his newer hemi!!!

I have had gasser HD trucks. just nothin like a cummins . even for short trips!!!

even if ya put 60k a yr on it, itll last longer from the get go. how many gassers run 300k + miles with out rebuild????

Old 05-31-2007, 03:54 AM
AllanK

Thanks for the feedback - Cummins wins! I had a chance to test drive a 2500HD SLT 4WD LWB 6.7L Cummins tonight - fantastic drive. And the dealer appears to be hungry! Offered 20% of list without any negotiating, so I'm guessing there is some more room yet if I buy on the last day of May.

The slight glitch is that they only have a manual transmission in stock at that price. I used to drive all manual except for the last 10 years, now I think I'm getting soft...lol. I'll sleep on it. I know manual gives better control, might give slightly better mileage, but is a lot more work driving around a town with a lot of traffic lights. It would also stop most other people driving it (of course this might be an advantage).

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Buy advice: 5.7L Hemi or 6.7L Cummins?