Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Transmission shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:18 PM
helms
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission shifting problems

I have a 2002 2500 SLT 4X4with a 5.9L.
About a year ago i had a problem with my transmission where it would sometimes start in second gearfrom a dead stop(usually in the colder mornings, like below 10c or 50f). This progressed from "sometimes" to "everytime" within a month. During the times that it would start in 1st gear, it would sometimes stay there and not shift untill I really throttled it. I tried taking my foot off the throttle and it felt like it would shift, but then go right back into 1st as soon as i got back on it. I could take it all the way to the redline with the shifter in "D". This problem was also very intermittant, it would happen maybe once a month.

I took my truck to the chrysler dealership that i used to work at and one of the techs said that the starting in second gear sounded like the "governor pressor sensor" was to blame, but he didnt know what the "no shift" problem was (he didnt take the truck into the shop, but he is quite knowledgable). I bought the new sensor and replaced it. the 2nd gear problem was fixed but the no shift was still there (I just deal with it, cus it only happens a little bit)

About 3 monthes ago the CEL came on with a "Governor pressor too high" code, but i left it alone because nothing had changed since i fixed it. The problem is now, about 2 days ago, the tranny started doing the same thing it was doing a year ago. Ifind it hard tobeleive that the new sensor it worn out already. so whats causing it? any help on this would be good, iv looked everywhere and im trying to stay away from the shops because they cost alot of money. thanks

Quick Reply: Transmission shifting problems