Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

GPS 6 CD Changer and Backup Camera Capability

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:22 AM
arkbane
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS 6 CD Changer and Backup Camera Capability

I wonder if anyone has an answer to this one? I have a 2006 3500 Ram with the Cummins. It is the Laramie model and has the GPS in the dash. In the owner's manual, reference is made to backup camera capability with the Dodge GPS unit but this capability is not offered by Dodge, at least for the 2006 trucks. I believe that the unit is actually made by Panasonic, with the software by Navteq. My question is, might there be a hidden option on the unit that would allow a video camera to be connected to it. It seems at least possible that Panasonic might have produced a standard unit for a variety of manufacturers, all with video capability but that Dodge chose not to offer backup video as an option (because the camera and wiring would have to be added to the package). If so, connecting any camera might invoke screen/control software on an eprom chip. Anybody out there thought of this or looked into it?

Scott

Old 06-22-2007, 08:31 PM
civilgee
Default RE: GPS 6 CD Changer and Backup Camera Capability

I am looking for the same answer. It just seems that there should be an aftermarket part that would work. I have a Mega Cab, and I sure could use a back-up camera.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:14 AM
arkbane

In fact, I strongly suspect that doing nothing more than connecting a video signal from a camera would do the trick, IF, that is, there is an input jack of some sort on the unit. My guess is that all these units are the same and manufacturers like Dodge simply use the features they want to market. If I am right, then the unit should recognize a video signal and that should invoke software resident on the unit but unavailable in the absence of video input. I'm dying to pull the dash apart and see I am right but if someone out there already knows the answer, and it happens that my guess is wrong, it will at least save me the trouble. I can always buy an aftermarket system, but I wouldn't mind saving some money if all I need is a camera.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:14 AM
arkbane

In fact, I strongly suspect that doing nothing more than connecting a video signal from a camera would do the trick, IF, that is, there is an input jack of some sort on the unit. My guess is that all these units are the same and manufacturers like Dodge simply use the features they want to market. If I am right, then the unit should recognize a video signal and that should invoke software resident on the unit but unavailable in the absence of video input. I'm dying to pull the dash apart and see I am right but if someone out there already knows the answer, and it happens that my guess is wrong, it will at least save me the trouble. I can always buy an aftermarket system, but I wouldn't mind saving some money if all I need is a camera.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:50 PM
arkbane

On another thread on this site, it appears that there is an aftermarket device that will do the trick. The Dodge GPS display is a computer screen. This means that it requires an RGB signal. Most backup cameras output a composite video signal suitable for a standard TV but not for a computer display. TVandNav2go.com make a converter box that gives you 2 video inputs and one (I think) audio input set so that you can hook up a DVD player, although only an idiot would watch a video while driving! Apparently, the backup camera input either switches on when you shift into reverse or can be set up to do so. Personally, I would probably hook it up to the constant input and use it as a rear view camera too. One more thing. It seems that this unit also involves having to solder an RGB connector to the circuit board in the GPS unit. You might be able to do this yourself if you are savvy with electronics as the appropriate points are almost certain to be marked on the circuit board. On the other hand, it might also be the case that TVandNav2go won't sell it as a do-it-yourself install kit, which means you will have to remove your unit and send it to them for that part of it.

Quick Reply: GPS 6 CD Changer and Backup Camera Capability