Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Shifter is Spinning

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:28 PM
WhiteBerry
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter is Spinning

My 06 manual shifter is spinning in a clock-wise fashion, very slowly. I bought the truck with 4 (four) miles on it and it was sitting as it should be, but now, after 6200 it has spun 3/4 of the way around. Without wanting to break something, i have tried to spin it further in the same direction as well as back in the other direction, but have been unsuccessful. Has anyone heard of this or have this happening? Can it cause harm to the tranny?

[IMG]local://upfiles/65183/3BA0FFCCAD4E47778C8183046BC048EB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-26-2007, 12:44 PM
rtmorrisjr
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shifter is Spinning

Is it def. the shaft or is it just the ****. If its just the **** (you said you tried turning it back) did you loosen the (not sure here) set pin or the nut that tightens the **** to keep it from spinning. Like i said, im not sure if it has either cause i dont have a new truck thats manual. (just my older one is like that) To make sure its the shaft, have you marked the shaft. I would put a chalk line on the shaft to make sure thats whats spinning

Old 06-26-2007, 12:57 PM
United1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know this for sure so do not hold me to it, but, your shift **** looks similar to the one in my Durango. On my shift ****, the top cap pops off. Under the cap is a locking nut that holds the **** from rotating (the **** is threaded and the nut locks the **** on the threaded shaft). Not sure if yours is the same, but worth a try.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha ha ha ha. . .youve got a modified I pattern instead of an H. . .he h ehe he

dont worry about it, you can use a flat head screwdriver to pry it out since it is just head in by a groove.Put some superglue on it to hold it in place, or just replace it like I did

Quick Reply: Shifter is Spinning