Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Tow Package, 2004 , 1500 Quad

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Palm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Package, 2004 , 1500 Quad

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>While recently trying to trade my Dakota for a new 1500 Ram, Quad Cab, Hemi, Auto Trans., I ran upon this question. At least 3 Dodge dealers told me that a truck not equipped with the Tow Package had the same size Trans Oil Cooler as one that had the package. Does anyone know if that is BS or not?</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>In addition to that question, can anyone list the exact components of the Tow Package for the vehicle in question. The sticker says, Class IV Hitch, 700 Ampere Battery, and 7-pin connector. Is that it? The sticker on the 2002 Dakota that I have also included the Aux. Trans Oil Cooler, and Maximum Engine Cooling, but the new ones makes no mention of this.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>Ever try to get a straight answer from a dealer? I got various answers to these questions from some, and a blank look from others. This seems like a great site, I just found it tonight. </FONT></P><edited><editID>Palm</editID><editDate>37993.8215856481</editDate></edited>

Old 01-07-2004, 11:55 PM
jeeppartsgirl

That sounds correct to me. Makes it easier for anyone who buys it later as a used to install a hitch and pull a load without worrying about trans overheating.

Old 01-08-2004, 12:32 AM
mazz
Veteran

The "Trailer Tow Group" for a 1500 Ram (2004) consists of the following: Class IV hitch receiver, heavy-duty engine cooling, 7-pin wiring harness, and 700-amp battery.</P>

My '04 Hemi with trailer tow group has a rather large radiator for the transmission along side the engine's radiator. This is a much more efficient setup than some trucks have where the transmission radiator and the main radiator are sandwiched. I looked at one that did not have the tow group, and it had the same setup. So, it looks like the dealerships were giving you the straight scoop.</P>

Old 01-08-2004, 01:36 AM
JimsVette

The transmission cooler is in front of the radiator, along with a power steering cooler below it. I thought at first the steering cooler was an oil cooler but its not the lines from it go the steering pump. What looks like a radiator next to the main radiator is the air condition condenser with an electric auto fan behind it. Hope this helps some.</P>

Jim,</P>

Old 01-08-2004, 08:10 PM
HEMIFIED

With the Hemi it's same with the tow are withoutI test drove both beforeI bought. It's like everyone is saying. Besides the 7 point hitch it should come wirh a flat lead connector underneath the bumper for a boat.They thought of almost everything.

Old 01-09-2004, 12:42 AM
Palm
Professional

Thanks for all the replies. I had also sent a query to Chrysler about this and finally heard back from them today. You are correct in saying that the Hemi comes with the trans oil cooler already in place, and the other components of the Tow Package was as listed above.</P>

Too bad they don't have more dealers out there that know what they are trying to sell. Some of the info I got from them was as bogus as a 3 dollar bill.</P>

Thanks again everyone.</P>

Old 01-10-2004, 01:24 AM
HEMIFIED

Enjoy your Hemi when you get it. Send a pic

Quick Reply: Tow Package, 2004 , 1500 Quad