Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

20" Rims Rough Ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 05:26 PM
MexiRam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20" Rims Rough Ride

Hello , I have 2003 Ram Hemi. I recently Put on these new rims that came of a 2007 Ram Hemi. I like the way they look but it seems to ride kinda rough. My stock tires were i bealive 275-70-17 and my new tires are 285-55-20. My question is is there anything i can do to make the ride better besides switching back to the old 17s. Does anyone know what is the biggest series(sidewall) i can go on a 20 inch rim, i was thinking of purchasing maybe if there is 60 or 65 series tire like a 285 or 295-60-20. Doesn anyone know if they will fit and where to purchase them i having trouble finding them. Below are pics of the truck before and after. thanks

Old 08-28-2007, 05:39 PM
crcarch
Professional
Default RE: 20" Rims Rough Ride

The rough ride is caused by having a much shorter side wall height than your original tires.I have Yokohama Parada Spec-X 305/50R20's on mine and they ride great! Even though they are 50 series tires, they still have a tall sidewall because they are so wide. As far as I know, these are the widest tires you can fit on the stock rims. Absolutely no clearance problems.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:51 PM
MexiRam
Professional

Yeha i know that it is a much smaller sidewall and this is the cause but if you are running 305/50R20's and mine are 285-55-20's then doesnt that make my sidewall taller than urs? Does the width of the tire make diffrence too i mean rs are 305 and mine are 285 does that come into play also. I m thinking of purchasing new tires and selling these but just want o make sure i get the correct ones this time.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:10 PM
crcarch
Professional

True. Your sidewalll is slightly taller than my tires, but they are almost 20% shorter than your original tires, which is why I'll bet the ride is "rougher" for you than on your original tires. The Yokohama's are my third set and the best by far for ride and handling characteristics. Besides the OEM Goodyear's, I had a set of Kumho's that stayed on the truck approximately 1 week. They truly sucked! Permanently out-of-balance.The Yokohama's are quite comfortable and much quieter than the stock Goodyear's, which had a much less agressive tread pattern.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:23 PM
MexiRam
Professional

So you think if i went to a bigger sidewall maybe a 65 series it would help, I would think so but like i said i dont want to make another mistake. here is a link of thes tires i found on line, Now does the brand of tire in you opinion also make a diffrence. should i go with off road or just a driving all season.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....es&place=1

Old 08-28-2007, 06:46 PM
crcarch
Professional

A taller sidewall will help, but so will the tire type and construction. Thetire type is really dependant on how you use your truck, but street tires will typically have a better ride than off-road ones. The Yokohoma's are all season street tires. I did a lot of research on Tire Rack and Discount Tire. That is why I originally chose the Kumho's, because they got excellent ratings. They weren't too swift for me, though. The Discount Tiredealer said he thinks it was the size, since they were so big that he couldn't get them to balance. However the Yokohoma's are the same size and are perfectly balanced. Discount swapped them for me without a charge![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 08-28-2007, 07:04 PM
MexiRam
Professional

How much bigger side wall do u think i should go. I know its going to raise the height of the truck as well but it shouldnt be something drastic right.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:18 AM
Cordoba man
Professional

Mine has 285-50 R 20's by Mirada. They only ride slightly harder than my 17" snow tires and have enough load to haul my 5th wheel.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:01 AM
crcarch
Professional

My advice is to determine what the overall diameter of the stock tire is, then find something close to the same. Here's a link to help you figure it out. http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...foTireMath.jsp
I'd try to choose a tire where the speed indicated at65with the OEMis within 2-3 MPH.

Changing the diameter too much effects your gear ratio and speedo.

Quick Reply: 20" Rims Rough Ride