Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Old subject, same question - ABS brake light coming on

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 11:58 AM
cdover73
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old subject, same question - ABS brake light coming on

I hate to bring it up again, but I am still having problems wtih my brake/abs light coming on. I have searched the threads and checked the sensor on the rear axle, even took the advice and unplugged the sensor to make sure it was dry and put di-electric grease in the plug. It doesn't happen all the time or for any known reason, but it is really aggravating. I haven't changed anything and I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. Anyone found a surefire fix?

cdover73

Old 11-13-2004, 10:39 PM
dannysdodge
Default RE: Old subject, same question - ABS brake light coming on

4 wheel or rear wheel abs? your not spinning the tires when it comes on? is the sensor pushed in all the way,when you remove the wheel sensor ,is the end of it clean?& no sighns of damage. you may have to have the abs computer reset, do you know what wheel sensor is turning the light on in the dash,not much you can do with it with out a scan tool ,to read what kind of codes its logging ,pull your wheel sensors make sure the ends are clean,& the sensors are pushed all the way in,check your connectors & abs sensor wires hope this helps ,good luck

Old 11-16-2004, 06:40 AM
BIGMOPAR

Well you can check to see if the sensor is good. Raise the rear of the truck and put some jackstands under there for your own sake! (lol) Put transmission in Neutral, this next part is easier if you have a buddy around to help. Unplug the ABS sensor connection using a DVOM (Digital Volt Meter) Turn to AC, put the two test leads on each of the connectors on the ABS sensor lead and have your buddy spin the rear wheels, if the senor is good you will see voltage increase as the wheel is turned, If you see no change you have a bad ABS sensor. If your ABS light is the only thing on then your ABS is just disabled and your mechanical brakes will work fine. If your Brake light is on it means you have either a leak in a brake line or air (Porportioning valve switch is engaged), your Parking Brake switch is defective or engaged, have you checked the TSB's on your year ram to make sure their isnt a PCM problem? sounds to me that you have a mechanical problem as well, most wheel speed sensors will just throw the ABS light and not the Brake light, but again that is determined by the year of the vehicle and the ABS system i know early 94-95 Rams used all GM Delco brake systems so they are different from the later trucks. If it were mine i would check the smaller stuff Parking brake switch then bleed all 4 wheels in appropriate bleeding order and then if the ABS sensor works fine at its harness connector check for AC voltage the same way at the PCM connections, if you don't have access to a scan tool just disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to clear the PCM of codes then recheck. Hope this helps [sm=roll.gif]

Old 11-17-2004, 02:37 PM
cdover73
Rookie

I think I found the problem. It came on again for no reason the other day and for some reason I grabbed the keys in the ignition and jiggled them. The light went off. When I got home, I tried doing this numerous times. With the truck running, I was able to jiggle the keys and make the light come on and go off, without the engine dying. I only have four keys on my key ring to the truck, so I don't think it is a problem of weight causing the ignition switch to go bad. And the weird thing is when the light comes on nothing else happens. It would seem that if the switch was turning itself back to the acc position then the motor would shut off as well. I don't know, but I can live with it easier now that I know where the problem is coming from. I may take it in to get the switch replaced.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Old subject, same question - ABS brake light coming on