Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Handling???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:54 PM
batman007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling???

I own a 2000, Dodge Ram, 4x4, Quad Cab, 5.9L, Sport package, and I went from stock tires to 17 inch tires and rims that also have a wider tread. I have had the front end professionally aligned and the tires balanced. My problem is the handling is real bad, it feels like there is a lot of play and roll, and does not handle nearly as good as it did with stock tires and rims. Also, the other day I hit a small puddle of water at about 45 mph and I almost lost complete control. The vehicle shot straight towards the ditch and I very lucky to have got it back on the pavement. Every puddle I came to wanted jerk the truck one way or the other. Any ideas? I have been thinking new sway bar or new shocks.......can anybody tell me what might be happening?

Old 09-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Sunshine808
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Handling???

Yes there will be a difference when you run larger tires.

And the hydro thing gets worse as yourtreads gets worn, I guess like anyother tire.

Avoid large puddles, unless it's for fun!

And hello! Im new too

Old 09-11-2007, 02:53 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats your tire pressure set at? Your door sticker might say 65lbs but I would run at about 35-40 unless your loaded down. too much pressure can make it handle like crap

Old 09-19-2007, 02:43 AM
HAWKDRIVER
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wider tires will hydroplane more (more surface area). Are your new tires radial steel belted? Dont laugh alot of tires are not.The 37" tires on the Humvees I drove earlier in my career would track straight down the road and then all of a sudden veer to one side. Spoke to the maintenance section chief and he said it is limited to bias ply tires. Also your2nd Gen is set up with a power steering boxand not a rack and pinion so check or have checked all the linkage from the box to the spindles (drag-links etc..). And oh yeah ball joints too!

[IMG]local://upfiles/70577/097E89D1372948C4A2C243FD9A03852B.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Handling???