Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

lookin to do somethin to it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:56 PM
tickinspector
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lookin to do somethin to it!

just got my truck. i need more torque for pullin trailers.it kinda be nice to have some more power all around! i noticed some of you guyshave used superchips in the4.7, is there a certain one you might recomend? ihave a 5-speed. also, im wanting to get some seat covers, any kinda you recomend.

fyi... i got 13 mpg and all i have is straight pipes

Old 10-07-2007, 02:19 PM
prerunner
Captain
Default RE: lookin to do somethin to it!

CAI
Free flowing exhaust
Superchips 3715
Headers
Fastman TB
4.56 gears.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:17 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

a cheep mod is to wrap your fuel rails to prevent heat soak... thermotec has some insulating tape that will do the trick.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:27 PM
WTL
Professional

Everyone throws out the same things, CAIs, new throttle bodies, gears, 180 degree stats, more restrictive exhaust systems (backpressure is said to be good in some cases?!?), less restrictive exhast systems... sometimes I think the people throwing out all those mods still have them on their own to-dolist, its one of those things where we are always able to convince ourselves that our next expenditure will be the most valuable.

Personally, I'm trying to keep things simple and dirt cheap. After reading this site for the past couple months, I think I'm going to go with one of those Edelbrock or Mr Gasket round filters to replace the stock airbox (around 30 bucks). The CAIs work on the idea that cooler air is better, but its still going to be a tradeoff of both cost (k&n cai is more expensive) and the fact that you still have a tube, albeit smooth that routes the air, whereas the round filters seem to be (in theory to me) the most efficient way of maximizing air even if it is a little warmer.

Mods seem to be very sensitive to the law of diminishing returns, and a cost/benifit analysis is always probably the best way to look at these things. Say for instance I could promise you 5 more hp for $750. Is that really worth it? Would that $750 not be better spent on gas? Really good tires with a low rolling resistance? Transmission service? Beer?

Steve, I did ask how wrapping the fuel line helps but then went ahead and did a search and found this from an earlier post...

"the idea being that if you take all the heat you can out of the fuel, then spray your intake air charge with it, you'll get a denser mixture... this results in more power low end & mid-range from the motor. "

So yes, the search feature is pretty cool.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

well I speak from experience... been there, done that one way or another on just about every ride in the last 10~15 years. the fuel rail wrap is done to prevent the fuel rail from getting heat soaked. a heat soaked rail will xfer heat into your fuel which will heat your intake air charge. by insulating the rail it'll at least stay at the temp that it is while in the tank. you could take it a step farther by adding a fuel cooler to draw out the heat, once you do that you'd be injecting cooler fuel into the intake charge, cooling the mixture. On your ram, you probably wont feel it, you will see it in the fuel mileage... on my 2000 5.9 4x4 I got a 6% bump in hiway mileage.

Also should mention that I did these mods on 2 bmw's I had... the last being an M3. gave me a noticeable boost in low/mid power.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:16 PM
287cc
Veteran

tickinspector, pm sent

Quick Reply: lookin to do somethin to it!