Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

need advice on truck dieing

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:17 PM
omowings
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on truck dieing

Hello. We have a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9 auto with 62,000 miles. The truck starts fine, runs fine until it warms up (for about 30 minutes), then if you shift into reverse it will die, then as it runs longer, if you shift into any gear, it will die, then as it runs longer, you just have to come to a light and stop, it will die. I have replaced the ecm, idle air control valve,changed module in the distributor, rotor, cap, plug wires, plugs, all fluids including transmission fluids have been changed. Mechanic has checked it and said it is loosing electrical power. We are now clueless. Anyone have any idea?

Old 10-14-2007, 02:34 PM
minnesotamopar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need advice on truck dieing

I don't have any Ram specific input, but how long does it lose power when this happens?

My guess is that it is a ground that is losing contact when the transmission shifts into gear.

If you were to use some wood blocks, or a floor jack or both to push on the transmission in various directions to try and hold it in place while shifting maybe that would shed some light on things...

There's likely someone here that knows of these symptoms more than I.

--Matt

Quick Reply: need advice on truck dieing