Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Ringing somewhere on the truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Hush_Hyena
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ringing somewhere on the truck

Just got my Ram 1500 yesterday and today I noticed that when I get up past 20 miles per hour there is some sort of ringing sound in the truck that gets louder the faster I go. Not really sure where it is located, but it sounds like it's coming from the back differential. I think, from what I've read, that it could be the differential cover as it has been changed and that it's just gear whine because of it? Any other ideas or ways I can see what it is?

Old 10-15-2007, 08:15 PM
hogdad
Default RE: Ringing somewhere on the truck

Mine makes a ringing sound but only on slow takeoffs and when backing up not at 20 mph- mines brake releated. Thats gotta be in the rear axle and unless your under warranty its gonna be in your rear if you go to the stealerdealer.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Cordoba man
Professional

Mine does that backing up, but that's the LSD in the diff. -clutches slipping-
So if the tire size is a little different it may do this.
Are you sure it's drivetrain and not resonance in the exhaust?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:50 PM
hogdad

Uhhhh,, No its not the LSD. Not if your backing straight thats for sure, and it shouldn't chatter on turns either.. The emergency brake is actually a mini drum brake contained inside your rear rotor. Even after just a couple of years the rust and crud in there make for less than smooth operation. Try getting one of your rear rotors off without a way big hammer.By the way I would NOT recommend doing this unless the truck is on a lift NOT jackstands.

Quick Reply: Ringing somewhere on the truck