Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

HELP: can i Tow this Trailer (7k pounds) with my HEMI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:01 PM
danelizer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP: can i Tow this Trailer (6k pounds) with my HEMI?

I had a 2004 like your until I traded it in for the 07. I have a 33' Forest River (8315) travel trailer. The 04 pulled it just fine as does the 07. Both have the 20" wheels. I tow around Florida. No mountains, etc. Don't know where you will be pulling but take that into consideration. My trailer weights around 7,500 loaded ready to go. It pulls just fine. A good equalizer hitch setup, good brakes, electric break controller, tow package are all necessary. Make sure you have them. Tow within you experience and capabilities.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:51 AM
CrazySte

ORIGINAL: danelizer

I had a 2004 like your until I traded it in for the 07. I have a 33' Forest River (8315) travel trailer. The 04 pulled it just fine as does the 07. Both have the 20" wheels. I tow around Florida. No mountains, etc. Don't know where you will be pulling but take that into consideration. My trailer weights around 7,500 loaded ready to go. It pulls just fine. A good equalizer hitch setup, good brakes, electric break controller, tow package are all necessary. Make sure you have them. Tow within you experience and capabilities.
Thank you very much danelizer,
if i'm not mistaking we do have to Towing package, this week we are going to mount the BrakeControl for multi axle Trailer, it's the one that Dodge suggested us, but i don't know what an hitch equalizer is...
Aldo, if you where capable of towing 7500 pounds with your 04 HEMI, that's it!
I'm sure that we will be able to do the same, so Thank'you very very much forthe information
One question is the following: some people told me that Dodge is knows for having problems with the transmission expetially when towing... did you have any problems with you 04 pickup?
BEST REGARDS

Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 PM
danelizer

CrazySte, get a weight distribution type hitch. I personally like the "Equalizer" brand hitch. But there are others that work well. It will be necessary with that much weight.
I had no issues with the transmission or the rear end. I took care of them and serviced according to manufactures requirements. The engine will run at high rpms sometimes such as a hill climb. Let it rev up but keep your eye out on the temperatures. A good transmission temp gauge will let you know whats going on there.The Hemi is in some 2500 models so you have plenty of power. Its your brakes and suspension you need to be careful of and don't overload it. If you need more info let me know.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:27 PM
CrazySte

ORIGINAL: danelizer

CrazySte, get a weight distribution type hitch. I personally like the "Equalizer" brand hitch. But there are others that work well. It will be necessary with that much weight.
I had no issues with the transmission or the rear end. I took care of them and serviced according to manufactures requirements. The engine will run at high rpms sometimes such as a hill climb. Let it rev up but keep your eye out on the temperatures. A good transmission temp gauge will let you know whats going on there.The Hemi is in some 2500 models so you have plenty of power. Its your brakes and suspension you need to be careful of and don't overload it. If you need more info let me know.
Thank'you again Danelizer,
i still don't quite understand what this weight distribution hitch do... but i will look for one.
Since you talk about servicing the Transmission, i assume that you did a lot of road with that heavy trailer...
We have about 40k miles and under suggestion we were thinking about converting to Syntetic Oil all the Transmission Lubricant,i know that it would help to keep cooler the tranny and other people told me that would make it ride much smoother, i already talked to a mechanic and this guy suggested AmsOil...what about you: do you use Syntetic Oil or Natural?
And you said something about a Tranny Temp Gauge... can i fid it at Dodge or is something that i need to get somwhere else?
Ilive in North Carolina, so there are many hilly roads, but if you were capable of towing 7500 poundsaround Florida a should be able to tow 6500 pounds on the Carolina hilly streets... what do you think?
Thank's again for all the time dedicated to my quastion
BEST REGARDS

Old 11-05-2007, 09:50 PM
andyg
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory fluid in the transmission is synthetic. I dont know what the factory recommends but i change my trans fluid every 15k miles. I think its good protection for the trans and avoiding expensive repairs from trans failure. (i may be over protective because i drive a caravan with the dreaded a604)

Old 11-05-2007, 10:00 PM
danelizer

A BIG +1. Your truck trans has Mopar ATF4 which is synthetic. Amsoil is really good but it will cost more. Change it out every 15,000 miles.
Go here for a hitch. http://www.equalizerhitch.com/.
You will have to piece togeather a working trans temp gauge. Do a search on the Dodge Ram sites for good ideas and parts.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:08 PM
mileshuff
Professional

A transmission temp gauge can be installedby most dealers but they could be pricey. A reputable performance transmission shop would be cheaper. It is nice to know the temp so you know when to back off. Not so much a problem you live in the desert or mountain regions.

Does your truck have the factory tow package? If so it should have an aux engine and tranny cooler already installed. On my 2004 Durango things stay cool and I live in AZ which is hot and mountainous.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:51 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 226 Likes on 211 Posts

dont forget to add in all of the passenger weight & bed cargoin there as well. toss 3~4 guys in the front and can easily be another 900~1000 lbs...

Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 PM
CrazySte

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

dont forget to add in all of the passenger weight & bed cargoin there as well. toss 3~4 guys in the front and can easily be another 900~1000 lbs...
Hello Steve,
so you are suggesting me to load a little bit the truck instead of the trailer?
Because we have the 4 Bikes that they must go in the Trailer,then there is a Power Generator that weighs about 200 pounds, and some other little stuff that doesn't make not even 100 pounds... shoud i put all of this stuff in the truck bad?
Thank's for the suggestion

Old 11-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you factor GCVWR(Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rateing) you have to factor the number of peoplein the cab as well. and any groceries you bring along for lunch. you will be surprized how quickly the numbers can get out of hand and before you know it your "overloaded". However your truck will still do just fine. It is not a matter of pulling the load and getting it moving, heck, my little yoda can get a 12,000lb armored hummer rolling. but the issue comes up is when you need to get that load stopped.

Dodge has for quite some time underestemated the loading capabilities of its trucks. I say load her up with everything you need, and then some just cause. Then go out and have fun!

Quick Reply: HELP: can i Tow this Trailer (7k pounds) with my HEMI?