Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

dirt in my intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 06:04 AM
voice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dirt in my intake

so i took off my air filter housing offto replace the filter and i noticed that the butterfly valves were caked in what appeared to be dried mud on closer inspection i noticed that this mud seems to go all the way into my intake. first question is how did it get through my air filter and second is there any way i can get it out without taking the engine apart? one friend suggested spraying carb cleaner in there and letting it burn out but that does not sound like it would be to good fro the engine. any suggestions? </P>

its a 2001 ram 1500 </P>

Old 01-21-2004, 03:58 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you have is not mud, they are combsution byproducts that cool off and get deposited on your throttle body and intake manifold. Your crankcase breather (attached to your airhat) draws excess pressure / and combsution byproducts (in gas form) into your airhat (box that holds the filter). These byproducts go back into the cumbustion chamber to be re-burned. </P>

</P>

This whole process is for emissions purposes. Your PCV valve does the exact same thing but, it draws these byproducts from the opposite valve cover. On the PCV side, they go directly into the intake (skipping) the airhat / throttle body.</P>

The best way to clean these deposits off of the throttle body is to remove it from the intake manifold. It is real easy to take-off.don't bother taking the throttle linkage off, just tilt the TB on it's side, and clean it with brake cleaner etc. The most important part is not tospray carb cleaner in the intake because it may be hard on your gaskets. Here is a link to more info on cleaning the throttle body at the IAC port: http://www.fast4x4.net/iacclean.htm</P>

</P>

To clean the intake manifold and combsution chamber, you need a specialized cleaner. There are three that are designed for the purpose: Amsoil Powerfoam http://www.amsoil.com/products/apf.html, SeaFoam, or Chrysler Combustion Chamber Cleaner (CCC for short) . Amsoil Powerfoam can also be used to clean your throttle body also. To clean your combustion chamber and intake with any of the three products, you need to do the following steps:</P>

(1) Completely remove the Air Hat,</P>

(2) Have your engine running You can control the throttle with the linkage on the TB or have someone inside the truck pushing the gas pedal.</P>

(3) Start spraying the cleaner through the throttle body while the engine is running. You engine will start to shudder and run roughly. </P>

(4)It is very important to keep the engine from stalling by giving the engine "more gas" . </P>

(5) Once you empty the can, let the engine die. Let the truck sit with the engine off for at least 20 minutes.</P>

(6) Fire your truck up and enjoy your newly created "smoke screen". Your truck will make lots of white smoke so be sure to do this cleaning in a well ventilated area.</P>

</P>

</P>

I'm not responsible for any repairs that you make on your truck. Be sure to keep your truck in park when the engine is running.</P>

</P>

Bill,</P>

Old 01-21-2004, 04:38 PM
voice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is dirt cas i went mudding and thats what happend the muddy water flooded through the air filter but will thesame steps still work?</P>

Old 01-21-2004, 06:34 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by voice

it is dirt cas i went mudding and thats what happend the muddy water flooded through the air filter but will thesame steps still work?</P>

</P>

Too bad you didn't add this information to your first post. </P>

</P>

The combustion chamber cleaning is a good idea as well as changing your oil as soon as possible. Most of these contaminates (primarily silcates from the sand) will enter into your oil and add to engine wear.</P>

If you do plan on doing the combustion chamber cleaning, do it before you change your oil.</P>

Quick Reply: dirt in my intake