Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

headliner goin south : help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:07 PM
tboss
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headliner goin south : help

My headliner is beginin to sag above the drivers sideand I want to remove the whole head liner How difficult is this ? I want to remove it so I can reattach the fabric with out having to do it overhead. Wht is the best kind of adhesive to reattach the fab to theliner? I know womebody out there has done this before so tell me the best way. I also want to clean the fabric at the same time as the previous owner was a smoker and the fab. is brown with nicotine stain. Tks Terry-------------tboss

Old 04-26-2008, 12:25 PM
BIGGIN57
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: headliner goin south : help

I have done this repair before but the way I did it may not be the right way.
I first removed visors,overhead storage and trim around the top of the cab. Keeping all the hardware in a small bucket. So i didnt lose anything.
I then removed the headliner with help from a buddy.
Gently removed the fabric from the foam board.
Took a stiff bristle scrub brush and removed almost all of the foam under the fabric. it was gonna come loose anyways.
Bought a can of general purpose spray adhesive.
Bought some thin quilt material(looks like a fiberfill blanket).
Applied a moderate coat of adhesive to the headliner board( even coverage NOT till it looked wet). placed the quilting on board and used a paint roller to roll it out smooth using my fingers also to get if flat.
sprayed the quilting the same way using just a little more adhesive.
rolled material onto quilting(same procedure as the quilting) smoothing it with a roller and hands to remove wrinkles.
placed lots of pattern needles...(stick pins used in tailoring)at an angle to hold the edges down.
Let the headliner sit all night till the next evening after work.
with care and a friend replaced the headliner.
As for laundering the cloth.....I have no idea if you could do that.
It sounds really difficult but use patience and a friend, take your time and you will be fine.

I hope it helps.

Quick Reply: headliner goin south : help