Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

440 Hemi in a D150

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 12:51 PM
exopar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 440 Hemi in a D150

Ok Guys have some que question that hoppefully will help making up my mind which direction to go for.

Have a 1992 D150 pick up 4 on the flor with a 360 5.9L naturally aspirated in there.....

Also have a 440 Hemi engine out of a Charger 440.....

Question here is if the 440 whould fit (plug and play) with this transmision or it will be a major job to adapt it....? Any having experience doing this?

On the other hand I have some experience with Ford and Chevy performance mod but non with Dodge, how easy is to get some extra ponies out of the 5.9L? What mods are the most sensitive on this engines?

Aim here is to build a very ( and I mean really) fast truck for the street, I would love to have a non sofisticated and old loock on this truck but plenty of ponies under the hood capable to kick some a$$. Of course it will not be a daily driven truck due to fuel consumtion but a fast truck to be used for sunday ride street machine....

So far I have not make my mind which route to go......... Any idea or sudgestion will be more than welcome.....

Old 02-08-2005, 12:59 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 440 Hemi in a D150

The tranny from the 2 engines will not interchange easily. Maybe they will with a bellhousing, but I'm not sure how compatable the newer tranny would be to the older BB housing. You need a BB tranny. The 360 can be built to haul the mail, but at the expense of drivability. The BB would be the better choice.

The easiest way to go BB would be to convert over to an automatic transmission. If it's going to be a hot BB in a truck the auto would let you keep both hands on the wheel too.[sm=jawdrop.gif][sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 02-08-2005, 01:45 PM
horatio102
Champion

440 isn't a hemi, unless it's a 426 that's been punched out.

You'll for sure need a different bellhousing, and there's a possibility that the input shaft isn't going to match up, and also possible that the tranny isn't going to be stout enough off for 500+ ponies.

92 360 is fuel injected, right? If so I'd suggest yanking the injection crap off and converting it to a carb - much easier to tune and make power from. 400 hp out of a 360 is fairly easy, with decent street manners, but the 440 will always make way more. It just depends on how much you want to spend, and how much power you want to get.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:38 PM
exopar

OOk

Then I think I will go for the 360, now what would be a good set up for this machine? What cam would you recomend and what comp ratio..... by the way this is already a carburated engine....

I am planning to add a roller cam, porte head with biger valves and maybe 12:1 com ratio with long tube headers and a MSD ignition, maybe a bigger roller rockers too, would you think this can make 400+ hp?

Also need to say, yes it is not a 440 Hemi it is a 427 Hemi......

Regards
Ray

Old 02-09-2005, 01:03 AM
horatio102
Champion

426 hemi?

Anyway, it sounds like you're building an odd motor. 12:1 cr is racecar stuff - not all that friendly with pump gas. How much are you planning on spending really?

If it was my money, instead of bothering with the stock heads, roller cam, and insane compression ratio, I'd go for something like this:

magnum block, 413 stroker, (forged crank and pistons if you're going to juice it) either magnum RT heads or something like Edelbrock performer rpm heads, a decent cam but not too wild, ~750 carb of your choice, high performance ignition, medium sized long tube headers, dual 3" or so pipes with x-pipe, decent intake manifold. Get it balanced and use good gaskets and bolts/studs.

Keep in mind that Edelbrock's RPM package on an otherwise stock 360 (iirc) made 417hp and 397 lb-ft. That's a 360, performer rpm cam, intake manifold, heads, and a performer carb. So a stroker with slightly bumped compression should make a good deal more than 400hp. Heck, my 306cid smallblock ford is putting out nearly 350hp or so with performer heads (not rpm, smaller valves) and a lumpy cam amongst other things and I dropped the compression on it to make it boost-friendly.

edit: It was a 340, here's the link. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/7176pp.html

Old 02-09-2005, 05:35 AM
exopar

Nice set up....... I have to say that it is planned to go for 109+ octanes LPG (what we have here) and thats the reazon why going that high on compresion.

On the other side the cam that I am thinking of will decrease dynamic compresion by almos 1 point.....(which is a nice set up for street on LPG).

I have good experiences with Ford engines but so far non with Dodge, Ford are quite sensitive to CR specially with some cams and thats the reason why to go for insane CR however the mentioned set up would make me happy as well........

I am setting my budget on 1,000 USD all included, I am not familiar with then price on some components then I do not know what the cost can be....

I have heard also on using 4" strocker crankshaft with Chevy rods and pistons having the block 0 decked in order to go for a 408.

Have any of U guys experiences with this set ups?

By the way, the aim on this topic is going quite well since it is helping me to make my mind on what to do....

Regards
Ray

Quick Reply: 440 Hemi in a D150