Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Need advice, I found a 4.7 ram I like

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 12:32 AM
stickshiftsrule
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice, I found a 4.7 ram I like

*edit* deal fell through, damn stealership BS!!!!!!!!

Hi all...........
I found out that a 4.7 5-speed ram I thought was sold was not!
This truck is very close to being EXACTLY what I'm looking for.
It's maroon (I wanted red) with zero "bells+whitles".
That's right: crank windows, manual everything (but that's what I wanted)
Vinyle bench seat (ehhhh would prefer cloth, but it'll do) vinyle floor (yeah!)
4.7 V8 5-speed manual with manual t-case and 3.55's (I wanted 3.92's) 17's w/the smaller tires (oh well)
2003 reg cab short box 4x4 with 22k miles.

I took it for (2) long test drives. The more I drove it the more I liked it.[sm=smiley20.gif]
It's been through the service dept. and I can see new front-end parts (upper ball joints/assy?)

What are the potential trouble-spots for this model???????????????
I'm particularly concerned about the fuel filter/assy after reading up on it in here. but would like more info on that.
Also, new front-end parts at 20k is a bit disturbing to me. I will be going back either monday or tuesday and told them I want to see the service records on what they had to do to it.

I have never owned a dodge before but I am somewhat mechanicly inclined, and would appreciate any help/advice you can offer.

-Thank-you!

Old 02-13-2005, 07:40 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need advice, I found a 4.7 ram I like

iirc Dodge had something of a problem with the upper ball joints coming apart while taking slow corners, so perhaps this vehicle has been fixed already. The NHTSA wanted a recall but I don't think it's official at this time.

I'd say if it's close enough to what you want, find out if it's been wrecked and if the title is clear then go for it. It's darned near impossible to find a used truck with exactly what you want. Vinyl seats can be covered, ring and pinions can be changed if it's a problem, tires wear out and need to be replaced eventually anyway...

Old 02-13-2005, 08:10 PM
stickshiftsrule
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need advice, I found a 4.7 ram I like

Thanks! This is kinda' difficult for me because I haven't followed dodge as close as ford, so I needed a little insight on what there problem areas are. I've always had fords (dad was a ford mechanic) but have mixed feelings on the FX4 ranger I now own. This is my 2nd ranger, and while it is an awesome off-road performer, I am not too pleased with some of the build quality. Also it is "loaded". But the FX4 was the only way to get a t-case lever in a ranger. I also HATE these back(wards) rear doors (they rattle).

My 1st truck was an 89' F150 302 4-speed. That was an awesome (and well-built) truck. It was just as spartan as this ram too (actually more so, no a/c)

I found more info on the fuel filter/pump/sending unit. Not being able to change fuel filters regularely is unnerving, but at least it appears to be a reliable set-up.

Are dodge (clutch) slave cylinders internal or external? How big is the clutch on the 4.7 NVG3500? 11"+ I'm hoping!

Again, thank-you!

Quick Reply: Need advice, I found a 4.7 ram I like