Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 03:19 PM
areswolfe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight conversion

Hey y'all,</P>

I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted a headlight conversion. One that would take the quad style headlights like those seen on the 2001 andearlier Sports, and installed them on the "Non Sport" models.</P>

If anyone has...is the wiring harness readily adaptable or is this a major undertaking?</P>

Or does anyone know of someone who has accomplished this, or a website that would depict the process?</P>

Thanks for the assistance</P>

Old 02-05-2004, 04:34 PM
5SPDSLT
Rookie
Default headlight conversion

I was wondering the same thing (see post 'MOISTURE IN HEADLIGHT). I imagine that the light would mount fairly easy. I can't imagine that D-M would change the body panels for a few 'SPORTS'. As far as the wiring goes if you can get your hands on the additional light plugs (found at the wrecking yard or good parts store)it should be simple.</P>

Get a two 30 amp relays, one for high beams and one for low. I use Bosch units as they have two power outs for both sides and are very small. They are about $10or so.Then just tap into the primary lights for the signal, high beam for high side signal ...low beam for low signal. The relays use very little current so you shouldn't have any issues with the extra draw. Remember to use fuses...no if's, and's, or but's on this one.</P>

If you really want to blind on-comming traffic you could use a few extra relays and have the high and low beams of all for lights on at the same time when the highs are on (just like when you hold the high beam switch on manually). Take another relay or two and now use the a high beam line as the signal and run power to each of the low beam wires. </P>

BE CAREFUL!!!!! Thereis a possability that if you had all four lights blazing and you are sitting still that you could melt the case. Also, standing at idle with all four blazing could also reach the idle output limit of your alternator. Driving at speed should keep enough air over the cases to cool then down and keep the alternator outputting enough juice.</P>

Now.........just to verify that the lights will fit.</P>

Eric</P>

Old 02-06-2004, 01:40 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: headlight conversion

here you go... I downloaded this from one of the dodge websites...

[IMG]local://upfiles/1508/Pn375569135.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1508/Nj254610145.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-08-2004, 01:10 AM
5SPDSLT
Rookie
Default RE: headlight conversion

Well, I did buy some aftermarket SPORT dual headlight assemblies today on ebay. I will give you all the updade on how the upgrade goes. I am planinning on doing the complete all-four-high/low upgrade (all 8 filliments at once when on HIGH).

I did want to thank 'steve00ram360' for the diagrams. I am going to do something similar but with a few differences. I will make sure and take plenty of pictures and draw an accurate wire diagram (with relays, dedicated fuse block and such) of the upgrade as well as a total cost breakdown for the project.

I tend to do projects a little "over-kill", so I will provide an overkill diagram and try to provide a standard "non-Eric-like" diagram.

Eric

Quick Reply: headlight conversion