Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

I want it LOUD again!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Grr287
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want it LOUD again!!

ok.....here's the story. I had dual exhaust on my truck for over a year. It was your basic one cat, Y-pipe, no muffler or glass pack or anything. Well, my truck was very very loud and I got pulled over for it and was given a ticket and told to fix it. So I put a Vortex Cherry Bomb muffler (I hate how quiet it made my truck) on instead. To do this, they cut about a 2 1/2 foot section of the Y pipe out and then put the muffler in place of it.

Now, here's the question, what is the best way to making it loud again without taking the muffler off? I only am leaving the muffler on because if I get pulled over again, I can tell the cops that I do have a muffler. So basically, I want the muffler to only be for looks only (in case I get pulled over) So here's what I was thinking.

Option A: Gut the inside of the muffler. BUT.....how will this make my truck sound?? I want it loud but not sound like s***.

Option B: Shove a 2 1/2 piece of straigh pipe thru the muffler and then reconnect it. (Hard to explain over the net). But if you can picture it like that, how will that sound and will it work??

Option C: Take the muffler off and buy a glasspack instead. If I do this, isn't there a way to eat up the glass inside so that it will basically just be a straight pipe again?

Any help would be great. Just remember, I want LOUDNESS and QUALITY.

Thanks, Garrett

Old 03-05-2005, 09:05 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I want it LOUD again!!

try posting in a few more forums.

Old 03-05-2005, 09:19 PM
PearlStealthRT_TT
Professional

go to your local exhaust shop and have them replace the stock muffler with a "flow pro" its basiclly a cheap flowmaster that sounds exactly the same using the same quality....you just arent paying for the name

Old 03-05-2005, 10:50 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 164 Likes on 151 Posts

most comon is option B. cut out the TOP of the muffler, gut it, put a straight pipe in it, then weld it shut. That way when cops look it, they wont see the weld bead to think it's been tampered.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:24 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

yea option B in my opinion

doubt the cops will even look in depth if they pull you over

theyre all to lazt

at least up here they are

Old 03-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Grr287
Captain

Yeah....thats what I was thinking too....thanks for the input.

Old 03-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Ruslt
Rookie

Technically the problem is the noise. Their is noise ordanaces where I live. Being "familiar" with law Enforcement I would think you would still get a ticket for a noise ordanance violation. Regardless if their is a muffler on the truck or not. Although I have seen some stupid officers. I florida one time me and a friend of mine were riding our bikes and got pulled over the officer stuck his ASp "night stick" up the tail pipe to check for baffles. Well I have tips on the bike and when I put the tips on I put longer screws in. He hit the screw and said I was ok since I had baffles. My fiend got a ticket.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:23 PM
whitelight
Professional

More and more police officers are using decibel meters...might not matter if you have baffles or much else [:'(]

Quick Reply: I want it LOUD again!!