Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Keeping the weight where you want it

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 11:10 PM
MGK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping the weight where you want it

I am driving a 2004 2WD Ram and in snow the light rear end doesn't provide the traction I would like. I have 280 Lbs of sand in bags in the rear end that gives it some added weight and provides improveded traction. My problem is trying to keep them in one place and not slide all over the bed. Has anyone come up with some novel methods for keeping them in one place with having to resort to tie downs and bins filling up the bed. Looking for ideas.

Thanks in advance
MGK

Old 02-10-2004, 04:36 AM
5SPDSLT
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Keeping the weight where you want it

Well with all the snow I see here in San Jose I have great knowledge on this subject. All-right.......I actully put about 200#'s of sand in the bed around here when it get really wet. The manual trans becomes a bit of a challange to keep on the ground.

A few things on physics first. You want the extra weight directly over the rear axle. If it it near the tailgate two things will happen. It will end up taking weight off of the front axle (using the rear as a pivot point). It will also give the rear a bit more of a whip action if it does get out of hand (think of playing crack-the-whip when you were a kid). If it is in front of the axle (near the cab) then you are loading the front end as well. This might not be bad but most truck have enough on the front end as it is.

Two thoughts on a solution:

1) take two load locker bars and secure one in the front most portion of the inner wheel well itself and one on the rear most portion. Give yourself about 1-3" above the floor (depending on the bag thickness of course) and stack the bags side by side. Also, you can try to get bags of quick set concrete and use the load locker bars to go over the top of them making an indention in the bag. After a few rains (or even help with a hose) it will harden into the shape you need to lock them into place with the load lockers.

2) This is a good chore for the kids.........START SHOVELING. Fill the be with free snow. It will melt in good time.....right???????

Eric

Old 02-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Redhairedcwgirl
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a pretty good idea! Where we live, we just need to worry about hydroplaning most of the winter time!

Old 02-10-2004, 10:50 PM
40intrepid
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just shovel some snow into the back of the truck when we get a lot of snow.
When it warms up the snow melts, and its free.

Quick Reply: Keeping the weight where you want it