Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

fuel injector leak down??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 12:55 AM
truckie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel injector leak down??

99' 5.9L 1500
84,000 Just tuned it up again hoping problem would go away.
Hot or cold start, engine cranks excessivly befoe starting. I have scanned the PCM for codes and ran self-diagnostics W/O any new revelations. I have not checked fuel press. yet but don't think it is a problem because normal drivability is fine. I'm leaning toward a leaky injector that won't hold press. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Truckie

Old 02-12-2004, 05:23 AM
vHiEpMeIr
Record Breaker
Default RE: fuel injector leak down??

My 4.7 did that but it lasted 2 hours, ending with the truck dying. It turned out that the coolant had spurted out for some unknown reason. I'm pretty sure that's not your problem because when I popped the hood it was all over the place, but you might want to check it out anyway. The same thing happened to my neighbor's Durango twice.

Old 02-12-2004, 04:55 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Put a fuel pressure guage on it & see if it is loosing pressure... that will tell you if it is a fuel issue. If it is then...

1) check fuel injectors for leaking... yank plugs & smell them for gas
2) if the plugs are clean then I'd releive the pressure in the system and have someone start the engine while you look at the guage. See if the pressure builds up quickly. If not... check for possible clogged fuel filter, regulator not working correctly.

From what you describe, sounds like fuel pressure is the issue. Could also be the pump...

HTH

Old 02-15-2004, 07:42 PM
truckie

Connected a press. gauge to the fuel rail. Press. rises slowly, too slow. After engine shutdown, fuel sytem will not hold press. for acceptable ammount of time. I will be changing fuel pump/regulator out soon. Keep you updated.

Quick Reply: fuel injector leak down??