Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Thinking about a Magnum...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005 | 03:17 PM
Klute
|
Professional
Default Thinking about a Magnum...

Faced with a commute 4X longer, I am thinking about getting something with better gas mileage.

I thought about a smaller 4 door truck, but I am just not sold on them actually getting better gas mileage...

Thoughts on the Magnum SXT....I can't see spending an extra 5K to get the hemi...How much power do you need for a wagon?

Old 03-30-2005 | 04:26 PM
ross944
Veteran
Default RE: Thinking about a Magnum...

do you need that much cargo room? if your worried about mileage and gonan go for a wagon why dont you just go far a car?(if room isnt the issue that is)

Old 03-30-2005 | 05:00 PM
Klute
|
Professional

I thought about the 300 or the Charger also.

I like being able to haul stuff as I do alot of my own work around my house etc...

I don't know. I had a Mazda 626 before my rtuck and it was not large enough for what I wanted...

All the cars just look the same to me. The magnum stands out...and I need attetion!

Old 03-30-2005 | 05:01 PM
RedRam225
Professional

I’ve just “upgraded†to the base Ram after logging time in as the driver of small cars. My commute is 30+ miles each way I spend about 50 to 60 bucks more a month on gas – however- I justified it on buying a “cheap†Ram. By buying the ram with all of the incentives, AND with the extra gas, I still pay less a month than if I bought the 300 I was lusting after.

My 2 cents is this. I had a love/hate relationship with my small cars. It is beautiful to park wherever you want, and to put very little gas in, and small cars are very comfortable these days – I loved all of those things. I HATED being in traffic and being stuck behind ANYTHING you simply cannot see around them; ALSO if you are turning left, and someone pulls next to you turning right, you have to wait for them to go because you cannot see through them. The truck eliminated all of those problems – and – it is a Truck! (enough said)

Before I bought the Truck I commuted a couple of days in the Minivan- I LOVE minivans, eliminated my concerns about vision (somewhat) and still had decent mileage. I would have a hard time going back to a car, but the good thing is you can rent a car for a week or so to commute in just to see if you like it – that’s what I would do.

Old 03-30-2005 | 06:03 PM
ross944
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Klute

All the cars just look the same to me. The magnum stands out...and I need attetion!
haha. If attention and size is what you want then I guess the magnum would be the way to go. Dont see too many of those on the road. If i was to get one of those Id definitely get the bright silver, very clean lookin.

Old 03-30-2005 | 06:26 PM
guido7
Veteran

Klute, for what its worth, I had a chrysler LHS (the sister to the 300)... and drove a new 300 with the 3.5 v-6, and to be honest it was quite a car...rode good and had decent pickup also... nice int, and all the toys..... My 99 LHS was hot, i miss it, and it ran hot, and got 28 on the road and 22 in the city.... If I ever dump the truck, i will go back to either the 300 or the mag.... they both are sweet, and run good.......Good luck with your decision, let us know............GUIDO

Old 04-01-2005 | 03:23 PM
guido7
Veteran

Klute, just test drove a magnum, hemi, today and its hot.... they claim 18 on the road, but with me drivin I think that would be scarce, lol.... list was about 34k, but I guess they have incentive programs on it.... nice car, and "hot"....

Old 04-01-2005 | 11:16 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

You may want to wait a little while before you make a decision. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, but I believe that dodge is supposed to be coming out with a 6.2 L gas motor
hemi. It supposed use the cycling cylinder (Msd ?), to get better mileage 18 mpg supposedly. at highway speeds[8D]

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Magnum...